• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Not going to think of rooting til i get the 2.2 update. I would like to get rid of some stuff by rooting. Also want to be able to take snapshots of my screen. Cant be;lieve they cant make it do that with just an app instead.

Not sure what else rooting does except you can get apps for free from what ive read. But that isnt a big draw for me either. If i like it, ill pay if it isnt ridiculously high priced.

Upvote 0
Reactions: VegasTouch
Upvote 0
Not going to think of rooting til i get the 2.2 update. I would like to get rid of some stuff by rooting. Also want to be able to take snapshots of my screen. Cant be;lieve they cant make it do that with just an app instead.

Not sure what else rooting does except you can get apps for free from what ive read. But that isnt a big draw for me either. If i like it, ill pay if it isnt ridiculously high priced.

You know that you can get 2.2 on your phone faster if you root right? like right now : http://androidforums.com/all-things...in-froyo-does-not-brick-downgrading-fine.html

Upvote 0
Well I take no credit for this but if anyone is looking to root here is the one click root app... just install run the app and your rooted enjoy: http://www.mrcellphoneunlocker.com/GalaxySrooter_V3.apk

You mean somebody made rooting easier? Anyone used this to confirm it works? I figured there had to be a way someday to root the phone easier.

iPhone is such a snap to jailbreak. Just figured an easier root was coming.

So do you just go to that link with your phone? And how would you UN Root?

Upvote 0
You know that you can get 2.2 on your phone faster if you root right? like right now : http://androidforums.com/all-things...in-froyo-does-not-brick-downgrading-fine.html

Damn, have to do all that to get 2.2? No link to that file in his post you need to get 2.2

All that looks a lot like SSH 'ing into the iPhone. Probably not real hard but i just dont want to risk a mistake and like the easier route.

I installed a couple files per instructions so i can make screen shots with my phone without a root and in one step it said to browse to a file that the instructions linked that i needed so the computer would recognize the drivers and it didnt work. There were no drivers there so things like that are frustrating.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You mean somebody made rooting easier? Anyone used this to confirm it works? I figured there had to be a way someday to root the phone easier.

iPhone is such a snap to jailbreak. Just figured an easier root was coming.

So do you just go to that link with your phone? And how would you UN Root?

*** UN-ROOT ***

a) run the 1 click app again and select the UN-ROOT option

or

b) go to your terminal and run adb

then run these commands to un-root
adb shell
su
rm -r /system/app/Superuser.apk
rm -r /system/xbin/busybox
rm -r /system/bin/su

Upvote 0
Im recently rooted.. I havent dived to much into the things that it allows you to do but I can take screen shots now which is nice... I also have some skinned controls to go along with LauncherPro. heres a screen shot..

Attachments

• screenshot_2.jpg
    screenshot_2.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 135
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I rooted my phone last week and deleted the following bloatware with no issues.
Avatar, Dual Clock, Email, GoGo, Info Alarm (Daily Brief), Kindle, Layar, Mini Diary, MobiTV, Sims 3, Slacker Radio, Telenav, Thinkdroid, Visual Voicemail.

I can warn you, DONT delete Talk and Talk Provider. You'll run into a world of errors that took me many hours to fix. Here's a link to another forum with pretty good instructions on how to root the phone.
Start deleting bloatware from Samsung Vibrant. - Android Forums

The forum talks about using Titanium Root, but I found the application callled Android Mate to be much more user friendly, and free. I didn't get anywhere with Titanium Root. Your root files are under sysyem>app Just be careful what you delete. You can verify the file names by going to the apps manager on Android Mate, then holding down the app your interested in, and go to properties. It'll show you the file name. I have a zip file with all the original applications on it if you need it. Let me know and I'll post a link for that too.

Good luck. You'll find my posts on page 3 with the errors I ran into, and how I fixed it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones