1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rooting 101

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Phandrovale, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Phandrovale

Phandrovale Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2013
    Hi Everybody!

Can anyone recommend a realistic set of reading to allow one to travel from total noob to informed user? I have written lots of software but never at operating system or embedded firmware level.

I have a HTC Desire, Android 2.2, and 8G SD card. So (it seems like all other users) get out of memory messages when there is no apparent reason.
    I began doing research on "Android-Desire-Insufficient Memory". I learnt that many Android users have this problem. I have learnt that this is because HTC is Evil and sells us phones that run out of memory, then they refuse to support you. Then I learn no, HTC are good! It is Android, son of Google, who is evil and won't fix this common problem. The Only Way to fix this is to root your phone (!) and that Android son of Google happened when Google rooted Linux.

Noobs have so much to learn! I went on and learnt that rooting your phone is a specific system operation and NOT a metaphor for doing something unspeakable to it.

At the moment I am reading through the excellent looking "Root Terminology" in FAQs, Android. I'd appreciate some pointers to the Way of Linux and then on to the Way of Android. I'd like to know the hardware and software architecture of Android phones.

And world peace.

I'd like that too.

Advertisement

2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>}
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Male
    Entrepreneur / Business Owner - Freelance Writer
    Loganville, GA
    Hello and welcome aboard, Phandrovale. :)

It's nice to have you join the community.

If you haven't yet visited your device's area of support - here's a link to that area.
    Link: HTC Desire - Android Forums

I hope your time here will be swell.
    Thanks for joining.