• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting a 2.2 Orange Desire?

I fancy giving rooting a go but am a little confused about what is best, im not to bothered about losing the orange crap but want to change fonts etc on my desire. Is it best to root and debrand or can i just root the phone? Also does any of the rooting guides still work as i have only just updated to 2.2?
Sorry for all the questions but wanna make sure i do everything right

Cheers

Dan

Is it an amoled screen or SLCD? If amoled, you could downgrade to a generic 2.1 rom with an RUU (may need a goldcard) then root with unrevoked 3.14 and flash a custom rom. You can root 2.2 with unrevoked 3.21 but apparently some people have had issues with this.

If it is just font changing you want, you can stay on your rom once rooted, but since the orange rom is full of crap, I would suggest a custom rom anyway.

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem
Upvote 0
This was just reposted after been taken down for a week or two because people were having trouble with it but it has been fixed now and will work without any problems and you do not need to downgrade at all, it will work just fine with what you are running now!!! Also with this it does not matter what kind of screen you have on your phone, this will work with both!!!

unrevoked

Reactions: Reverend Mayhem
Upvote 0
This was just reposted after been taken down for a week or two because people were having trouble with it but it has been fixed now and will work without any problems and you do not need to downgrade at all, it will work just fine with what you are running now!!! Also with this it does not matter what kind of screen you have on your phone, this will work with both!!!

unrevoked

Wont work for me on My Desire (2.2). :(

Upvote 0
After my second replacement from Orange due to the update screwing the bluetooth and the tethering the same thing happened again so I ran un-revoked this morning with no problem at all.I now have a rooted phone with orange 2.2 and I would be grateful if somebody could direct me to a rom that would just debrand and maybe allow me to put the phone into the way it would be if I bought it unbranded. I've been trawling through thread after thread and it's a mine field !

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones