1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting a phone =/

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by klejarde1, May 22, 2011.

1. klejarde1

klejarde1 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2010
    Hi guys :)

I was just wondering what does rooting a phone means? I have HTC Desire HD... can I root my phone? What does it do? Is it better than not rooted phone and what are the consequences of rooting your phone? =/

Thanks guys :)

Kev

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    When you hear people saying they've rooted their phone, it means they've granted themselves superuser access. This just allows you to access the hidden files and folders which are part of the Android OS and aren't accessible under normal conditions. Doing so will grant you access to various settings not available to the unrooted user. It will also allow you to install pieces of software unavailable to unrooted users (such a overclocking software) and most importantly, allow you to install different ROMs (customised versions of Android which alter the look and feel of the phone).

Whilst I've not rooted my Desire HD, my girlfriend has an Orange San Francisco which I've rooted and installed a Custom ROM on. Out of the box, the OSF isn't the greatest smartphone around, but now I've stuck a custom OS on there, it's comparable to phones 3-4 times the price. Given the fact the DHD is a much higher spec, I've not seen the point as it does all I want it to, but that's not to say you can't get more out of it by rooting, others around here certainly have.

If you decide to go down that route, there are plenty of guides around here and XDA that will make it as easy as possible for you to do so. There's also plenty of people around to help you should you get stuck. If you're relatively new to Android, I'd personally get comfortable with it first before trying anything fancy. Part of the beauty of Android is the sheer amount of apps available to the most basic of users to help them get the most out of their phones.