1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting an android phone

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by dicavo, Feb 4, 2016.

1. dicavo

dicavo Newbie

Hej every one.
    Can i root a smart phone but it shall not look like its rooted.. i mean no new app names on the screen ..like super su .....etc .

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

You can install a third party launcher that allows you to hide app drawer apps.

Heather Nichole and scary alien like this.
  3. dicavo

dicavo Newbie

Sorry Curtis1973 but i dont know what is the third partner launcher means.. can you explane to me more please ? As iam foing this for the first time.

Curtis1973 likes this.
  4. Curtis1973

Curtis1973 Android Expert

Sure visit playstore and search for either Nova Launcher or Apex Launcher. A launcher is pretty much your homescreen and app drawer system.

Heres my launcher,Apex

Screenshot_2016-02-04-19-08-32.png Screenshot_2016-02-04-19-08-26.png

Lordvincent 90 and scary alien like this.
  5. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

A third party launcher is a replacement for the app that controls your home screen--i.e., where and how your apps are launched and presented to you.

I use Nova Launcher (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher) and it allows me to customize tons of things like how many app icons I can fit on my screen (changeable rows and columns), adjust what apps are shown in it's app drawer at @Curtis1973 kindly mentioned), etc.

You should know that there are several ways to actually see if your device is rooted regardless of what the home screen says or shows.

edit: happily and nicely ninja'd by Curtis! :)

tube517, MLSS, electricpete and 2 others like this.
  6. MLSS

MLSS Android Expert

You should definitely read read read and study up on rooting your device before attempting to do it. You need to make sure you know exactly what you are doing and what the risks are.

If you aren't sure what a 3rd party launcher is then I'm going to assume your knowledge of smartphones is pretty limited (no disrespect intended).

Learn the terminology, learn why you are going each step, and follow the rooting instructions for your device word for word.
    Good luck! [emoji217] [emoji217]

7. dicavo

dicavo Newbie

Thanks for all answeres but let me be more exact.
    I am about installing a monitoring app in my teen ager son . But i dont want him to notice that app .and that app needs a root to get it fully working. So the question is: can i root his xperia z3 and install this app and he will not notice that his mobile is rooted??
    He doesnt know what The root is but i dont want him to see more strange apps like super user ...etc

8. James L

James L Android Expert

You can hide SuperSU. It's in the settings of the SuperSU app. I have done this countless times for customers as i also deal with monitoring apps for customers. With SuperSU hidden and made invisible unless they install root checker and or go through the apps in the settings they won't know. Also you can set SuperSU so it will auto grant root access.

scary alien likes this.
  9. scary alien

VIP Member

Hmm, I'm not familiar with that "hide" setting in SuperSU @James L...I do see the "Show notifications" checkbox to enable/disable the toast messages, but not a feature/option to have the app hide itself (i.e., from/in the app drawer, etc.)? :thinking:

Also, @dicavo, it looks like the Xperia Z3 might not necessarily have an easy / simple root process:

(I've no experience with this device or the process, so I can't really offer any direct experience)

There are a couple of other ideas for hiding or obfuscating root (none of which are simple/casual) none of which would fool a determined, knowledgeable user, but the custom launcher options discussed above is probably your best bet.

10. James L

James L Android Expert

Settings, launcher icon, change it to invisible.

bcrichster and scary alien like this.
  11. scary alien

VIP Member

LOL, nice! (my eyes went right past that ;) :p :D).

Thank you, sir! :)

edit: turning off the toast notifications would probably be a good thing to do, too :).

12. James L

James L Android Expert

No problem, going to upload a picture so everyone will know what to look for. And i agree turning off toast notifications is wise.

scary alien likes this.
  13. James L

James L Android Expert

SuperSU launcher setting picture to change the launcher to invisible.

Attached Files:

scary alien likes this.
  14. Anwar Abir

Anwar Abir Lurker

15. SavageRobot

SavageRobot Android Expert

Is it only me that would take caution on a monitoring app that requires root? I've not looked into it but aren't there other ways for parents to monitor what's happening anonymously that doesn't require opening up vulnerabilities? I'm sure I've heard of some but never looked into it, if this is the case perhaps someone will chime in with a suggestion for this as with a rooted phone if your son accidentally downloads a questionable app it could end up borking up the phone or getting infected with malware, virus or a nasty app or something

#15 SavageRobot, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    psionandy and scary alien like this.
  16. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

An app can easily tell if the phone is rooted.

Some apps will not run if they find a rooted phone - e.g. some high value apps like Jeppesen flight planning programs.

17. scary alien

VIP Member

I would make a distinction that an app can easily tell if there are/were root-like components present on the device.

It's actually non-trivial to test to see if a device is actually rooted (i.e., working root).

But that's probably a distinction without a difference to the apps that don't want to run on a device that is or was rooted.

:)

18. peterh337

peterh337 Android Enthusiast

I would think an app can make a request to access say the root directory, and if that passes, the phone is rooted.

19. scary alien

VIP Member

It's not that simple since any given device may have a particular directory or folder secured in a non-standard way (shipped like that). A device like like the Moto Triumph had it's entire /system partition user-writable, but that doesn't mean that the device is rooted.

20. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Why hide anything? Knowing he is being monitored will serve as a preventative measure, an incentive to stay out of trouble. Secret monitoring does not. It can only tell you where and when he gets into trouble.
    I much prefer using monitoring to help keep my kids out of trouble than to notify me when it's too late. I'd make monitoring as obvious as possible. It's also being honest about it rather than dishonest, keeping secrets.

Edit: BTW, I'm with SavageRobot, why should a monitoring app need root access?

#20 Crashdamage, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
  21. dicavo

dicavo Newbie

Because monitoring apps cannot show you viber and whatsup and facebook and snapchatt messages with out rooting.

22. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

I'm off-topic, but it's pretty creepy if you ask me.
    Yes I know you have their safety at heart.
    But are you willing to give up the trust (forever) of whoever you give this phone to?