1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting and Lag

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dbrook007, Sep 1, 2011.

1. dbrook007

dbrook007 Newbie

Hi, I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and the lag on the home button is really annoying.

First thing I need to know is can I root my phone? It's on contract with O2 (UK).

Details:
    Android 2.3.3
    Baseband: I9100XXKDJ
    Kernel Version:2.6.35.7-I9100XWKE1-CL181974
    root@DELL103 #2
    GINGERBREAD.XWKE1

What are the benefits of rooting the phone?

If I root the phone, would I be able to do something about the lag and improve performance in general?

I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.

...Darren

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

yes u can root ur phone :) im not sure how it affects ur warranty over there, but u definitely can root :) i'd flash a newer firmware first, though.. KE1 that ur running is very old.

the benefits of rooting is huge, depending wat u want. u can install custom roms on ur rooted phone, that have loads of added features and tweaks.. if u search around, im sure i read about one that had fixed the home screen button lag (although this lag doesnt bother me nearly as much as the lockscreen lag :D )

u can also perform complete backups of ur system (nandroid backup) or just apps+data (titanium), freeze system apps that u dont use.. u really unlock the power of android when u root ur phone :D

3. steslatt

steslatt Android Expert

Yes you can root. I believe the lag is caused by the voice command app because it waits to see if you press the home button again to launch the app. If you remove the app you reduce the lag.
    Also some custom roms have a setting to disable the home button double click therefore also reducing the lag.
    Either way you need to be rooted. Check my sig for rooting guide. The earliest rooted kernel available is KE2 so I would use that. I can also recommend updating your firmware before you root as the firmware you have is quite old.

4. dbrook007

dbrook007 Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I'm interested in doing this but not very good on the technical stuff.

How do I update my firmware?

Thanks
    D

5. dbrook007

dbrook007 Newbie

Oh yes, and my firmware is carrier branded with O2 (UK) - I don't know what this means in relation to flashing firmware?

6. dbrook007

dbrook007 Newbie

I don't really know where to start, what order to do things in etc... and confusing with the branded firmware

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews