• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting and ROMing

Kopsis

Jan 17, 2011
Tampa, FL
So I've been reading up on rooting the Desire HD (the Inspire 4G's twin from across the pond) and it seems that it's not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. From what I can gather, the 1.72 update locked down the exploits used by the rooting tools. To get root, one must downgrade the ROM to 1.32. From there it seems there are ways to apply the update (once gaining root) in a way that preserves root, but it seems decidedly non-trivial.

Granted, I'm new to this. My head is still spinning with S-OFF and HBOOT and RUU and all the other terminology. It looks to me like the Desire HD (and hence the Inspire 4G) is decidedly harder to hack than some of its EVO predecessors. I see a lot of posts that indicate rooting the Inspire will be a simple push-button operation. What am I missing?

So I've been reading up on rooting the Desire HD (the Inspire 4G's twin from across the pond) and it seems that it's not nearly as easy as I thought it would be. From what I can gather, the 1.72 update locked down the exploits used by the rooting tools. To get root, one must downgrade the ROM to 1.32. From there it seems there are ways to apply the update (once gaining root) in a way that preserves root, but it seems decidedly non-trivial.

Granted, I'm new to this. My head is still spinning with S-OFF and HBOOT and RUU and all the other terminology. It looks to me like the Desire HD (and hence the Inspire 4G) is decidedly harder to hack than some of its EVO predecessors. I see a lot of posts that indicate rooting the Inspire will be a simple push-button operation. What am I missing?

Check out unrEVOked

Upvote 0
I looked at unrEVOked and the Desire HD is not listed as a supported device. There's a page on HTCDesireHDForum.com (HTC Desire HD - Very confused/ Unrevoked?) that indicates neither unrEVOked nor Visionary (for temp root) work with the latest Desire HD firmware and the Inspire 4G firmware is almost certainly going to be an even newer rev.

cyanogen mod has check out XDA developers forums under desire HD

Upvote 0
Chill man. Just give it a few weeks and someone will figure it out. I'm thinking that we will see the first root from the xda guys, so I will be over there looking around for a while. If you guys find one, please start a new thread so that we can not only use it, but let others know if anything doesn't work right, if its good or bad, etc...

Matt

Upvote 0
They Cyanogen technique might work ... if the Inspire will allow the Desire HD downgrade ROM image to be loaded. I guess we'll know in a week :)

Odds are that someone will eventually work out a way to get root on the Inspire. But as things stand right now, it sounds like folks buying the Inspire early should not assume that there will be an easy "one-click" rooting solution.

Not that it matters that much to me. So far I like what I've seen of Sense UI, so I only really care about root for tethering (without paying AT&T's outrageous tethering fee). Though at this point, it may be easier to just pick up a cheap HSPA USB modem and simply swap my SIM in when I need 3G on the laptop. I mainly started this thread simply because as an engineer, I like to know how all this stuff works :)

Upvote 0
They Cyanogen technique might work ... if the Inspire will allow the Desire HD downgrade ROM image to be loaded. I guess we'll know in a week :)

Odds are that someone will eventually work out a way to get root on the Inspire. But as things stand right now, it sounds like folks buying the Inspire early should not assume that there will be an easy "one-click" rooting solution.

Not that it matters that much to me. So far I like what I've seen of Sense UI, so I only really care about root for tethering (without paying AT&T's outrageous tethering fee). Though at this point, it may be easier to just pick up a cheap HSPA USB modem and simply swap my SIM in when I need 3G on the laptop. I mainly started this thread simply because as an engineer, I like to know how all this stuff works :)

I believe cyanogen will work there latest mod 7 is sweet

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones