1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Rooting and security

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Asus_Fonepad 7, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Asus_Fonepad 7

None

Dec 4, 2014
    Male
    Hi, I have rooted my Asus Fonepad 7 by following this youtube video

What is want to know is can installing the android image from an untrusted source compromise security ?

Link to the image is mentioned with (below) the video.

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    If you are installing a new set of system software then yes, you do need to trust the source you are getting it from.

Most ROM developers are completely legitimate, but I know nothing about this device or that particular software.

3. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    Yes, i agree. Unfortunately, there can be a degree of trust required for some of what we do with rooting, so it's good to know as much as you can about whoever provides any flashable software. Even the chainfire superuser.zip that 99% of people use with root is non-open source... we have to trust that developer (chainfire) if we want to use root. He is very well known, but it's not a perfect situation.

Your link involves something on mediafire... I can't really track down who it comes from or who is representing that it is safe.

It may be a false sense of security, but I feel better using software posted on xda since we can look at the profiles of the people posting, and since there are a lot of savvy users that might red-flag suspicious software.

There is a root thread for your device on xda here
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2754230&page=42

Again I'm not positive the stuff posted in the xda link is better but personally I'd feel better about it than the youtube/mediafire links.

No matter what software you choose, make sure it is applicable to the specific device and software version you're using.

#3 electricpete, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016