1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rooting and warranty questions

Discussion in 'T-Mobile' started by dannykewl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Hi, I just bought the Sensation about a week and a half ago. My 2 weeks to add warranty/insurance will be up Friday. I haven't done so yet, and have never done for my other phones, and I and them survived just fine. I'm a little more concerned with the Sensation.

Looks like the plan is $7.99 a month (plus tax prolly), and I read I have a $130 deductible.So for just one claim, given I paid for 2 years, that would cost me around $322 plus any tax, much more than the $199 plus tax (after rebate) I paid for the phone. I figure in 2 years I'll be ready for a new phone also.

If no warranty, and I did lose/break my phone, would they sell me another Sensation or allow me to purchase another phone at the subsidised/with contract price? I do have my original Dash as a back-up, and even a Nokia 3650 as an emergency back-up.

I also plan on rooting the sensation, and I hear that voids the warranty, so I assume that means the warranty I would purchase from T-Mo as well as the manufacturer's warranty. There are some apps that are a must have for me, such as a screen cap app, and I read, if I want the app on my phone vs. hooking the phone up to a PC with USB to cap, rooting is a necessity. So, I figure the warranty would be a waste for me.

Advertisement

2. John Jason

John Jason Android Enthusiast
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    I'm supposed to have a job?
    Portland, left side North America
    Google on "cell phone insurance" and you will find several insurers that are not affiliated with the carriers. Their rates and coverages are much better because they sell the policy directly and don't have to pay a commission to the carrier.

dannykewl likes this.
  3. dannykewl

dannykewl Member
    None

Jul 4, 2011
    Male
    Cleveland, Ohio, USA
    Thanks, may be a better option for me.

4. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande?
    None

Nov 29, 2009
    Android App Developer
    NY
    Yeah if it were an HTC warranty I'd say dont worry about rooting, but you never know with a carrier.

I havent heard of anyone actually being refused service for rooting, but I have a hard time trusting a carrier, even my favorite tmo :)

5. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    If you destroy your phone, or it is lost/stolen then insurance wont know.

If it is rooted and acts up just flash it back to stock and they wont know. If it bricks with no physical or liquid damage they may find out, but I dont believe they would