1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting and warranty

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Drivembig, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Drivembig

Drivembig Newbie

All, just wondering what rooting does for the warranty? Is there any way to unroot if any issues arise. Thanks in advance.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Atma

Atma Extreme Android User

I haven't read the fine print but I would assume its like most devices. Rooting voids the warranty.

Its pretty easy to relock, unroot and load back stock with the Nexus Root Toolkit.

3. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Looking at the warranty now. It says it doesn't cover failure caused by improper installation of software. So my guess, if you brick it, you're SOL. But if it's a hardware issue they're not going to turn you down because you've rooted your device.

Only things I'm seeing about software is if your product is damaged by non-asus software, you're not covered. So even if you're not rooted, you could be SOL for a warranty fix if something on the software side messes up.

4. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Android Enthusiast

I personally think it is dumb that rooting voids your warranty on other devices now if you brick I get it but you are just rooting

5. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

exactly. Only if rooting/unofficial software caused the malfunction should the warranty be voided. That's what I'm understanding from the ASUS warranty.

But I don't understand why that would void your cell phone's warranty. I bought my GNex used, so I'm actually going to research this.

Edit: looked at Samsung's warranty, and it basically says the same thing. My guess for any type of warranty replacement/repair would be to return the device to stock, just so they can't try to say your software caused the problem.

6. djedgarftw

djedgarftw Android Enthusiast

Hope I never have to take my phone in for warranty but if I ever do I have stock and unrooted for all my phones.

7. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

I think they put that in the warranty so that the nitwit that overclocks to a point where they can safely cook a steak yet melts his motherboard can be told to fly a kite. For general rooting issues my experience (comments from other rooter device owners here on AF) is that they generally will replace a device with a hardware defect even if it is rooted.

8. jova33

jova33 Android Expert

Yeah, the warning shouldn't be "this will void your warranty" it should be "if this breaks something, you're not covered by warranty"

from what I read, any issues caused by non-asus software isn't covered by warranty. So if I download something from the play store and it breaks my device, I'm SOL.

9. Unforgiven

Unforgiven ...eschew obfuscation...

It's unlikely they can enforce that. They include the play market on the device and therefor endorse unrooted market apps. This is just my $0.02 though, I could be wrong.