• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting blows for us non tekkies

I think your are sooo correct downloading now.
Just a guess but I would have to say that you do not have .net 4.0 installed. Download it directly from microsoft.

You very well could be. Turn your phone off and boot it into hboot by holding the volume down rocker while pushing the power button. What version of hboot does it say? 76.200? or 79.000? If it is 76.200 follow the steps in the link that i posted in my original post.

Upvote 0
Or just download WiFi tether off market and see if it works

Wifi tether would not work for me with the 1.17.651.1 software. That is why i followed the steps to get to 1.47 software with root. Also to get the updated radios. 1.17.651.1 is a developmental build that doesn't have many apps. Mainly it doesnt have the superuser app. So you have no way of accepting root permission. But like I said I am new to all of this so maybe i just missed it.

Reactions: pippin65
Upvote 0
hboot is 76.2 now in my sdcard root I have pc36.img and a whole bunch of other stuff. delete? also with rom manager it errored with a permissions issue....do I intall the 2.1su.apk

If it is the pc36img.zip left over from simpleroot, then yes you can delete it. Now you need to download the file PC36IMG-1.47.651.1_eng-hboot_RA-1.7.0.1.zip listed in this thread How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers rename it to pc36img.zip and put it on the root of your sd card. Just follow the directions in that thread. After that rom is loaded you can delete the pc36img.zip file. Then you will put the 2.1su.apk file on your sd card and load it through recovery. Just follow those instructions in the thread, you are almost there. This is the simple part.

btw, I took a rom and placed it on sdcard and renamed it update.... supposed to that??? or this first??? How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

see what I mean, I dangerous
I amazed my phone can still make a call

If you are wanting to load a custom rom now, yes you can put the rom on your sd card and just "flash zip from sd" from the recovery menu. I thought you just wanted to be rooted with the latest software until cyanogen came out. That is why I was pointing you to the "How to start over" thread.

Upvote 0
I downloaded frame work. I go to extract simple root, But still dont see the screen to click each instruction. What could I be missing?

Just a guess but I would have to say that you do not have .net 4.0 installed. Download it directly from microsoft.

You very well could be. Turn your phone off and boot it into hboot by holding the volume down rocker while pushing the power button. What version of hboot does it say? 76.200? or 79.000? If it is 76.200 follow the steps in the link that i posted in my original post.

Upvote 0
I downloaded frame work. I go to extract simple root, But still dont see the screen to click each instruction. What could I be missing?

Once you extract it, you need to go to that folder and run the OTA SimpleRoot.exe file. If you couldnt figure that much out it might be smart to do some more reading before you jump into this. Not trying to be rude just dont want you to mess up your phone.

If all you are wanting is wifi tether you might be better off going with unrevoked. Simpleroot is better if you are looking to install custom roms.

Upvote 0
anyone wanna chime in with basic inst. for the 3 android skaters screen? every time I use the power and volume method, and get to the skater screen, it ends up redoing my whole phone(get the how to type text, sign in to gmail, etc) is this where I "recover" the new pcimg that I will rename? or is the purpose of rom manager to load all the different roms?

Upvote 0
anyone wanna chime in with basic inst. for the 3 android skaters screen? every time I use the power and volume method, and get to the skater screen, it ends up redoing my whole phone(get the how to type text, sign in to gmail, etc) is this where I "recover" the new pcimg that I will rename? or is the purpose of rom manager to load all the different roms?

If you have a file on your sd card that is named pc36img.zip it is going to try and load every time you go into hboot. So once you have your rom loaded you can delete the file from your sd. If you forget to delete it just answer no when it asks if you want to update. To load a rom that is named update.zip or what ever you want to name it just go to recovery and choose "flash zip from sd card" then choose the rom that you are wanting to flash.

Upvote 0
That is correct, you do not need a rom manager. I do not have rom manager loaded. I just use the recovery to load a rom. You can either name your rom pc36img.zip and it will load when you go in to hboot. But then you need to delete that file otherwise it will try to flash every time you go into hboot. The better way would be to name it something else ie: update.zip. Then when you are at the screen with the skateboards you will choose recovery. This will take you to a different looking screen, it should be either clockwork recovery or RA recovery. From there you will choose "flash zip from sd" choose update.zip and it will flash the new rom.

Upvote 0
Honestly I am so new to rooting that I really dont know of too many apk's for rooted users. The only ones I have loaded are wireless tether and titanium backup. As far as flashing roms i am pretty sure you can flash any of them on xda, but if you start going back and forth between roms based on 2.1 then roms based on 2.2 you need to be careful of what system settings you restore from titanium backup. You might want to do some reading on nand backups as well. A nand backup can take you back to exactly where you were on your rom. So if you want to try a new rom do a nand backup of your current setup. Then if you decide you dont like the new rom just restore the nand backup and it is like you never tried the new rom.

Upvote 0
I'm Unrevoked3. I did that one no problem. I am just trying to move to the next level. I can follow direction well, but I really can't find a way to extract the specific file. Does the phone have to be connected etc..

TE=Pity410;1172755]Once you extract it, you need to go to that folder and run the OTA SimpleRoot.exe file. If you couldnt figure that much out it might be smart to do some more reading before you jump into this. Not trying to be rude just dont want you to mess up your phone.

If all you are wanting is wifi tether you might be better off going with unrevoked. Simpleroot is better if you are looking to install custom roms.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0
Even with that loaded still nothing. I extracted the file to the desktop. I have the Icon of an EVO to click on to open up the simple root step screen, but then I get an Error from my windows saying," Windows Application1 has stopped working"

Some good info here, but I think there are still gotcha's for noobies - such as needing Microsoft .Net 4

Upvote 0
Some good info here, but I think there are still gotcha's for noobies - such as needing Microsoft .Net 4
agreed, my problem was the guides/youtube videos were often pre-OTA, and yeah there were corrections made but, oh brother! some methods said uninstall HTC sync, others install it. You read and read and instead of enlightenment you get more confused and pissed. But I'm a very happy camper now:D
however, if my neighbor, who has an evo asked about rooting....ergh...how could I help if I don't know how I did it. My bff always said "RTFM" in this case the manual is all over xda, these forums, and the internet! I'm simply amazed by people that throw all this jargon around....Of course, I'm a RN and we have a jargon all our own. Nursing questions--ask me. Rooting......duhhhhh. in closing, we truly do need a "pippin65 proof methodof rooting" for the non tek masses. I only know that I won't be the one writing it.
Happy my phone didn't become a paperweight...

Upvote 0
Then they have manuals from last month, Why is that stuff still here. Get rid of old directions.

agreed, my problem was the guides/youtube videos were often pre-OTA, and yeah there were corrections made but, oh brother! some methods said uninstall HTC sync, others install it. You read and read and instead of enlightenment you get more confused and pissed. But I'm a very happy camper now:D
however, if my neighbor, who has an evo asked about rooting....ergh...how could I help if I don't know how I did it. My bff always said "RTFM" in this case the manual is all over xda, these forums, and the internet! I'm simply amazed by people that throw all this jargon around....Of course, I'm a RN and we have a jargon all our own. Nursing questions--ask me. Rooting......duhhhhh. in closing, we truly do need a "pippin65 proof methodof rooting" for the non tek masses. I only know that I won't be the one writing it.
Happy my phone didn't become a paperweight...

Upvote 0
I am only rooted with unrevocked3 (not true root) I will try simple root at work tomorrow on a differnt machine. I extracted the OTA Simple Root and have the picture of the evo. I click on there like they do in the videos. Instead of getting the pop up with the 3-4 steps to click on it says, 'WindowsApplication1 has stopped working"

Upvote 0
It was my old computer. As soon as a went to another machine at a friends I was able to pull everything up that is needed.

Once you extract it, you need to go to that folder and run the OTA SimpleRoot.exe file. If you couldnt figure that much out it might be smart to do some more reading before you jump into this. Not trying to be rude just dont want you to mess up your phone.

If all you are wanting is wifi tether you might be better off going with unrevoked. Simpleroot is better if you are looking to install custom roms.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones