• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Captivate Froyo Update

Just FYI I think I read this morning that Cog 2.2 is fully deodexed.

Nope.....downloaded it, the files both in the app folder and the framework folder still have .odex file to them. DG prefers to use odexed files because he says they are faster, but I beg to differ. Besides, I'll be doing a few themes which is way more easier using deodexed files.... Check for yourself.....download his ROM and open the .zip package....go into system and look in both app and framework folder. If you see .odex files, they aren't fully deodexed....

EDIT: Yep. As of this morning he did Deodex his files. Ok I was wrong, thanks for the correction. I was basing my assumptions off of last night....

Upvote 0
Any update on the update.zip eta?

Thanks for your work!

I'm going to work on it some more today. I feel like I'm missing something, I just don't know what yet. I signed and flashed a ROM to my Droid today, so I know the process I'm taking isn't the problem. But I will be working on it. I've been cooking up a ROM, I've been working on that a bit....

Upvote 0
Can someone give me or point me to the instructions on how to navigate the first few steps of the ABD version. I have the SDK and I'm still a little behind on the terminology. Too many acronyms.
What exactly do I need to do to browse to the contents of the zip folder from the terminal screen that pops up when I open the SDK.
Maybe I shouldn't be doing these things if I don't know, but I want to do them anyway :)
I rooted my Captivate just to put Froyo on it and now that I've gotten accustomed to superuser access I want it back.

Thank You

Clay MF Sims

In order to access whats in the folder, you have to "cd (change directory) to where the Android SDK is. You also have to make sure you have the ADB drivers for Samsung installed on your computer and have debugging enabled on your phone. Once you have those two really set up, it'll be easier to run through the process...

Upvote 0
I know you have been working REALLY hard at it - and I have to say this - if a Windows guy (Me) Can follow the manual Root steps - ANYONE CAN!!

DO NOT BE AFRAID!! It will not hurt. I promise - let me show you how much linux knowledge I have :eek:

EXACTLY!! - Thank You everyone for all of your help and information..

I am Root and Non Market Capable - because of All of you!!!:D

I'd give big hugs and kisses - but there are probably a gazillian guys on these forums and well - I ain't huggin and kissin any of ya!!

LOL!!!

Upvote 0
i REALLY wanna take the plunge and install cog 2.2 on my captivate!! a few ?'s though. i am just rooted and have the at&t bloatware still and everything... can i just go straight into flashing cog 2.2? another thing is im on a mac.... i know cog 2.2 is through rom manager but i hear that u have to odin back to jh7 or something? but ppl who flash back to that r on cognition already.... since i am not on cog and never ran cog on my captivate, can i just drop the rom.zip onto the sd card and then run clockworkmod recovery and then install from sd and choose the cog 2.2 zip? if so that would be awesome cuz i dont have a PC so i cant use odin.... another thing though is if i do mess up in the process... is there a way to go back to my previous rom since i cant use odin? like if it were installing and it so happens something freezes and i have to pull the battery out, what will happen? will it just boot back to my previous wrong or am i screwed? i basically just wanna have something to revert to since i dont own a PC and wanna make sure i dont brick my device. i mean really it sounds very simple to install. i just hope i dont have to use odin :D. so any help is greatly appreciated!

and also there is no real tutorial or video on how to do this cuz its kinda one click and all lol so ppl who have done this can u post ur way of successfully installing it? and if so are you very happy with it? remember im on stock 2.1 wit JUST root so im sure its a whole new thing for me lol

also i noticed i have to run parallels to drop the .zip file to the sd card cuz from osx it doesn't recognize it as a .zip file... from parallel's it shows right a way it is a zip.... weird

Upvote 0
i REALLY wanna take the plunge and install cog 2.2 on my captivate!! a few ?'s though. i am just rooted and have the at&t bloatware still and everything... can i just go straight into flashing cog 2.2? another thing is im on a mac.... i know cog 2.2 is through rom manager but i hear that u have to odin back to jh7 or something? but ppl who flash back to that r on cognition already.... since i am not on cog and never ran cog on my captivate, can i just drop the rom.zip onto the sd card and then run clockworkmod recovery and then install from sd and choose the cog 2.2 zip? if so that would be awesome cuz i dont have a PC so i cant use odin.... another thing though is if i do mess up in the process... is there a way to go back to my previous rom since i cant use odin? like if it were installing and it so happens something freezes and i have to pull the battery out, what will happen? will it just boot back to my previous wrong or am i screwed? i basically just wanna have something to revert to since i dont own a PC and wanna make sure i dont brick my device. i mean really it sounds very simple to install. i just hope i dont have to use odin :D. so any help is greatly appreciated!

also i noticed i have to run parallels to drop the .zip file to the sd card cuz from osx it doesn't recognize it as a .zip file... from parallel's it shows right a way it is a zip.... weird

Nope. Unfortunately you can't at this time because Koush hasn't updated ROM Manager and Clockworkmod Recovery to be compatible with Froyo on the Captivate. That's why I'm in no rush to release a ROM yet, because I want flashing my ROM to be easy.

As far as making a back-up, the only way I knwo is by using the Nandroid back-up through ROM Manager, but it won't work with the leaked Froyo just yet. People revert back to JH7 which is 2.1 and then update to 2.2 that way because it almost simulated the 2.2 update to Froyo. DG's Cognition does that, which is smart in getting it to everyone.

But until ROM Manager is updated for the Captivate, we just have to wait. Clockworkmod Recovery mode isn't available to us Froyo users, just yet....

Upvote 0
It took me while to get it. It was first time using the adb tool for me so i was lost for a while.

1. I goes here: Android SDK | Android Developers
  2. and download the tool for my OS.
  3. Next i create a new folder under C: directory name "androidsdk" and extract what download to it.
  4. Run SDK Manager.exe
  5. Download and extract Captivate Root Pack 2.2 to tools folder.
  6. Run cmd
  7. cd\
  8. cd androidsdk, and then cd tools
  9. copy and paste comand in the first post.
Thank all for the help. 2.2 Rooted. Can wait till Titanium back up finish restoring:)

Upvote 0
Hi, I'm in the process of trying to flash to froyo, I've gotton up to the "mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/stl9 /system" step, and it says I don't have root permissions. Which I know I should. Rooted applications work on it, and I've tried different methods of rooting, attempting to solve this dilemma. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
hey i have downloaded the sdk manager and the captivate root pack. i ran the sdk manager and then put the root pack into the tools folder in the sdk application. I was wondering if someone could give me step by step instructions on how to proceed from here...i am confused a bit. i just wanna root my phone and get the one click lag fix to work for my ji6 froyo captivate.

Upvote 0
i just wanna say thanks to ronald u have convinced me to not flash to froyo lol. ive been WANTING to flash froyo cuz its the "new" thing out and all but reading ur post convinced me to stay. more cuz of the stability on the ROM. i know ive read ppl who have great outcomes and are very happy and thats good! but for me i will just wait for the official release or when ronald releases his ;). and im on mac so i can't use odin if i wanted to flash back to stock! but keep up the good work to all the devs! i have respect for you all

edit: should i do the OTA update? im on jf6 and just rooted.... i havent figured out completely if i wanna update or wait till the official froyo is out. if so will i lose root?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones