• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Captivate Froyo Update

Clay ... I will give it a try to explain. Please excuse me if I am too basic ...

When you unzip the downloaded Captivate2.2RootPack it extracts the following files:

busybox
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
sqlite3
su
Superuser.apk

Using the windows GUI, drag and drop those files under the "tools" directory created by the SDK installation.
(When you installed the SDK it created "add-ons", "platforms" and "tools" directories under where you installed the SDK.)

The path to the "tools" directory *will vary depending on how your computer was set up and where you installed SDK*.
You can see the path in windows explorer when you are in the "tools" directory displayed at the top of the windows explorer
window. If win 7, click on the yellow folder at the top of the window.
For example, my installed path is: C:\Users\Dennis\Desktop\android\android-sdk-windows\tools

Then launch cmd.exe by going to the windows START button and typing cmd.exe into the bar at the bottom.

type: cd /
type cd Users\Dennis\Desktop\android\android-sdk-windows\tools (the first part of this will be different on each PC)
Leave the CMD (DOS) window open.

Now you can copy each command one line at a time in the instructions at the top of this thread using your mouse and left click and hold to drag over it, highlighting it, and release and then right click to copy it.

Next you can paste that copied command into the CMD window by putting your mouse pointer in the CMD window and right click to paste it. hit the enter key to execute the command.

Repeat one line at a time till you complete all the steps.

Dennis

This worked perfectly. Thanks for the noob "translation." I'm off to enjoy Firefox on my Froyo-flavored Captivate.

Upvote 0
Clay ... I will give it a try to explain. Please excuse me if I am too basic ...

When you unzip the downloaded Captivate2.2RootPack it extracts the following files:

busybox
rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
sqlite3
su
Superuser.apk

Using the windows GUI, drag and drop those files under the "tools" directory created by the SDK installation.
(When you installed the SDK it created "add-ons", "platforms" and "tools" directories under where you installed the SDK.)

The path to the "tools" directory *will vary depending on how your computer was set up and where you installed SDK*.
You can see the path in windows explorer when you are in the "tools" directory displayed at the top of the windows explorer
window. If win 7, click on the yellow folder at the top of the window.
For example, my installed path is: C:\Users\Dennis\Desktop\android\android-sdk-windows\tools

Then launch cmd.exe by going to the windows START button and typing cmd.exe into the bar at the bottom.

type: cd /
type cd Users\Dennis\Desktop\android\android-sdk-windows\tools (the first part of this will be different on each PC)
Leave the CMD (DOS) window open.

Now you can copy each command one line at a time in the instructions at the top of this thread using your mouse and left click and hold to drag over it, highlighting it, and release and then right click to copy it.

Next you can paste that copied command into the CMD window by putting your mouse pointer in the CMD window and right click to paste it. hit the enter key to execute the command.

Repeat one line at a time till you complete all the steps.

Dennis
Dennis, thank you for being so clear and concise. There are many newbies here trying to absorbe all this new information - nothing is too basic!

Upvote 0
Updated the OP. Even provided a direct download for those who aren't members at XDA. Check it out guys...one click root, sideload, even unlock! Definitely a step up from running scripts manually since an "update.zip" isn't working yet....

All devs are still working on that, but it seems like it's a Froyo leak thing. Once Samsung updates the Froyo build, it may work, as for right now, we're not sure what to do, but provide alternatives....

Upvote 0
Thank you ronaldramsayii, I was able to follow along with the instructions very well. I don't know much about programming, I used to do web design for a past company I worked for and know html. Between working 40 hours a week in a press warehouse and Civil Engineering classes, I wouldn't be much help for more research currently. Maybe during the Summer months I could try to teach myself programming for droid. If you have some links to read up on, I can keep them around and see if I can help you out in the future.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones