• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Challenges

cotandem

Nov 21, 2009
I would like to root my Photon in order to get rid of the Sprint bloat ware. I am on version 2.3.5. Have followed the video using Torpedo with no success. Updated drivers. Get msg " adb is not recognized as an internal or external command...." when program tries to send torpedo to the phone, setting permissions, and unpacking torpedo.

Is this because the update, version 2.3.5 killed the ability to root or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any input.

The error 'abc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. (where "abc" is whatever program or command you are trying to run) is an error coming from the Windows command prompt itself. If you open a command prompt window and try submitting "fjdklsfjdlsfs" (or any nonsense like that) as a command, you can prove it to yourself.

So just check that adb.exe is in the current directory of the command prompt window. Assuming you extracted (or otherwise installed) adb.exe in the first place, it's probably just a matter of issuing the "change directory" (cd) command. That would be "cd directory", where directory is the location of adb.exe. For example, if adb.exe is in C:\temp\omgwhathaveidone, then the command would be "cd c:\temp\omgwhathaveidone".

If you are going to do lots of stuff like this, there is a way to add these utilities (like adb.exe) to the "path" environment variable and ease this type of thing... But never mind that; if this is a one-time thing, the CD command is the way to go.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones