1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting Challenges

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cotandem, Aug 17, 2012.

1. cotandem

cotandem Newbie

I would like to root my Photon in order to get rid of the Sprint bloat ware. I am on version 2.3.5. Have followed the video using Torpedo with no success. Updated drivers. Get msg " adb is not recognized as an internal or external command...." when program tries to send torpedo to the phone, setting permissions, and unpacking torpedo.

Is this because the update, version 2.3.5 killed the ability to root or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any input.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Citizen Coyote

Citizen Coyote Android Enthusiast

If you haven't already, check the threads in the Photon development forum on XDA. You're more likely to get an answer to your question over there, as this forum is pretty quiet these days.

3. cotandem

cotandem Newbie

Thanks, will do.

4. crosspatch

crosspatch Member

The error 'abc' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. (where "abc" is whatever program or command you are trying to run) is an error coming from the Windows command prompt itself. If you open a command prompt window and try submitting "fjdklsfjdlsfs" (or any nonsense like that) as a command, you can prove it to yourself.

So just check that adb.exe is in the current directory of the command prompt window. Assuming you extracted (or otherwise installed) adb.exe in the first place, it's probably just a matter of issuing the "change directory" (cd) command. That would be "cd directory", where directory is the location of adb.exe. For example, if adb.exe is in C:\temp\omgwhathaveidone, then the command would be "cd c:\temp\omgwhathaveidone".

If you are going to do lots of stuff like this, there is a way to add these utilities (like adb.exe) to the "path" environment variable and ease this type of thing... But never mind that; if this is a one-time thing, the CD command is the way to go.

Motorola Photon 4G Forum

The Motorola Photon 4G release date was August 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1700mAh battery.

August 2011
Release Date
Reviews