1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting devices

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by timlanemc3, Jul 6, 2017.

1. timlanemc3

timlanemc3 Lurker

Im needing an app or something to root my moto e phone and maybe give it an upgrade or something

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I don't know that device, so can't offer a specific solution, but I can ask you what software version it is running and whether it was bought through a service provider? Software version can affect what rooting options are available, and phones sold through US carriers are commonly locked-down harder than other phones of the same model.

Rooting and upgrading are entirely separate. Rooting simply means modifying the software so that you can grant user-installed apps system privileges. It actually makes official upgrades harder, as these may fail to install on a rooted device or may suffer problems if they do. Unofficial upgrades ("custom ROMs") depend on the device, i.e. whether someone has made one for that model (all system software, including custom ROMs and recoveries, is specific to a particular phone model). If they have then you'll need a custom recovery to install one. If they haven't, rooting will not help you update.

My preference for rooting is to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery, and use that to either install the package that roots the ROM or just install a custom ROM (which will usually already be rooted). Rooting apps don't work on the more recent Android versions anyway. But installing a ROM requires resetting the phone, and unlocking the bootloader usually erases the phone as well, so back up before doing anything. And most important, don't rush into it: read up on what's needed for your device, make sure you have the right files, understand the procedure, have made all of your backups and know what you are going to do if it goes wrong (i.e. how you can get the phone working again).

Sa7 likes this.

Root All Devices

Root All Devices Forum

com.hexamob.howtoroot

READ MORE
Last Updated
Rating
Installs