• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

Mods: can we unsticky the old "status" thread? This one is properly named and is a clean thread. Or just rename the old thread to 2.2 root exploit is available!. thanks!

Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

I know a lot of you are on stock 2.2 waiting for an exploit to be found so you can root your phones. Here's a thread on xda that details how:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=765496

Be careful. Make sure you get as familiar with the process as possible before proceeding. See if others are running into issues. Good luck!

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly a noob, but after reading the xda step by step, I'm gonna wait until someone comes up with an easier process or program to help out. I just see too much room for small errors that will create problems.

For me the issue is that the developer assumes some terminology and processes that I am not familiar with. I never heard of Android SDK before reading his post. Where is the "adb tools directory"? What does "Now we chmod a few things" mean. I've heard of a "root shell" but not sure what that is either.

I'm also concerned about having to back up all my "user data". What all does that include? How can I do it? and how to I re-install it later?

There are a few other steps that scare me as well. He did say he would make it easier tomorrow, so I'll wait till then. All I really want is to get the hotspot without paying through the nose.

Boy the more I look at this, the more I do feel like a noob. I'm not really, I'm just not a developer!

Upvote 0
Based on reading the rooting instructions, it appears that this new exploit is centered around toggling Airplane mode. From the instructions:

After you do these next 2 commands, start toggling Airplane Mode over and over until you acheive the desired results mention in a few steps.
I guess that's what the devs were referring to in recent days about reproducibility. You have to get a little lucky with the toggling.

If it works, you get the root prompt # instead of the normal user prompt $. Next step flashes the engineering bootloader. With that, you flash a stock 2.1 system. Downgraded!

The remaining steps are to simply run unrevoked 3 and unrevoked 4. This will get you the permanent NAND unlock. Note, you have the option to stay on rooted 2.1 or flash a rooted 2.2 ROM. Whatever you choose, you'll now have the freedom to go back and forth.

I wish I had a stock Evo to try out the exploit. Seems very straightforward.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly a noob, but after reading the xda step by step, I'm gonna wait until someone comes up with an easier process or program to help out. I just see too much room for small errors that will create problems.

For me the issue is that the developer assumes some terminology and processes that I am not familiar with. I never heard of Android SDK before reading his post. Where is the "adb tools directory"? What does "Now we chmod a few things" mean. I've heard of a "root shell" but not sure what that is either.

I'm also concerned about having to back up all my "user data". What all does that include? How can I do it? and how to I re-install it later?

There are a few other steps that scare me as well. He did say he would make it easier tomorrow, so I'll wait till then. All I really want is to get the hotspot without paying through the nose.

Boy the more I look at this, the more I do feel like a noob. I'm not really, I'm just not a developer!

You bring up excellent points. A lot of people need this kinda thing abstracted into something like SimpleRoot. But allow me to help you out a bit:

Basically, you need to get a tool called adb. This tool allows you to work in a linux shell. If you don't know what a linux shell, think of it like a DOS prompt for your phone. adb is bundled with the Android SDK, which you can get here:

Android SDK | Android Developers

The Android SDK is what you need to write applications for Android, but we're only getting the SDK for adb. Once you've unpackaged it, you will see a tools folder. That is where adb is located. To run it, open up a cmd window from your PC and use the commands specified in the instructions.

chmod is a linux tool for changing permissions of files and folders. There is no risk in executing these commands, as long as you get the 0755 number correct. It basically allows you to execute the files needed to root your phone.

To back up your apps and settings, I recommend using MyBackup. This is the program I used to back up my phone when I first rooted. It will back up all your apps, contacts, phone/sms logs, homescreen layouts, etc. Some things like widgets and signed apps will need to me manually replaced, but the backup will preserve almost everything.

I think you are wise for waiting. But just remember that there are people here willing to help!

Upvote 0
As of a few hours ago,a new root has been posted on xda forums on how to root 2.2. The member who posted it will be posting a more simplified and comprehensive explanation in the next couple of hours so keep checking.he has already done it on his brother's phone.just thought I should share this with you guys

Upvote 0
As of a few hours ago,a new root has been posted on xda forums on how to root 2.2. The member who posted it will be posting a more simplified and comprehensive explanation in the next couple of hours so keep checking.he has already done it on his brother's phone.just thought I should share this with you guys

More info in the "all things root" subforum.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
Root works, once you do the root, you can use simpleroot or unrevoked. I used simple root since with my first evo unrevoked did not do what i wanted. I believe now that unrevoked does full root and such, however simple root worked for me, and my fresh backup is restoring from my original evo! Thanks to all who made this work, and the waiting was worth it!

Upvote 0
Root works, once you do the root, you can use simpleroot or unrevoked. I used simple root since with my first evo unrevoked did not do what i wanted. I believe now that unrevoked does full root and such, however simple root worked for me, and my fresh backup is restoring from my original evo! Thanks to all who made this work, and the waiting was worth it!

Great to hear that you got Simpleroot working once you were downgraded to 2.1. It's so much simpler than having to do the unrevoked3 and 4 stuff.

And for those that don't know, Simpleroot is a full unlock and root of your phone. Link is in my sig.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones