• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting exploit for a stock 2.2 phone is now available!

Updated OP to warn about the new 3.30.x build on new Evos.

thanks novox77

there is an active thread on xda that it has been broken...but the op has not (as of a few hours ago) given any detailed information or instructions...only that he would update later ......here is the thread

oops, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=827266

I don't see anything indicating that unrevoked has incorporated the new information yet

Upvote 0
That won't work, unfortunately. You see, in order to use that method, your phone must have a custom recovery. To get a custom recovery, it says you must use Unrevoked3. And as we all know, Unrevoked3 does not work on 3.30.651.2. So, we're still at a stand still.

I haven't had time to read through any of the 4 or 5 threads over there to determine what's what. Just trying to keep everyone posted on whatever progress they have made

Upvote 0
That won't work, unfortunately. You see, in order to use that method, your phone must have a custom recovery. To get a custom recovery, it says you must use Unrevoked3. And as we all know, Unrevoked3 does not work on 3.30.651.2. So, we're still at a stand still.

Incorrect! While taking S-Off doesn't install the recovery, you're able to flash it yourself AFTER you take s-off.

And a few days ago I read a thread by Amonare(i think) and he had made a working root that installed a recovery. He even had a .exe working and was up to a beta#7 i think.

EDIT: Here it is!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=828437

Upvote 0
I have been reading for a couple of weeks about rooting my EVO 2.2? I do not understand fully the process and benefits. I have not rooted because I am rather sceptical. Is such an extensive process really necessary just to obtain root? My list of what "ises" and why's begin now (please have patience with my questions). Thank you for your responses:

What is evo-root.zip?
What is PC361MG.zip?
What is mtd-eng.img?
What is rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin?
Why am I "flashing" a "recovery" when I never backed anything up?
What is ENG SPL?

What does all this do to my phone besides rooting will it operate as normal? It seems to me you are changing the heart of the phone how does jive with the Sprint Network? Is this trusted software? Is it secure?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones