1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting/Flashing and warranty

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Red3Chilli, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Red3Chilli

Red3Chilli Newbie

Whats up guys!

Im just wondering about the whole rooting and voiding your warranty thing.
    Ive read a few threads on here, but im still not sure.
    I have villainRom on my Galaxy S2 and assuming having that on it, DOES void my warranty, is there any way around this?
    If i flashed it back to a stock rom, would they notice that it had a custom rom. Also what is/would i have to "un-root" the phone, and how simple is this?

Thanks guys! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

to unroot you would just reflash your original stock firmware. job done.

there is an internal "counter" on your phone that clocks whether you've rooted etc, so your carrier can void your warranty if they check this, even if you've unrooted and gone back to original firmware.

but you can buy a usb jig from ebay that will reset this counter too, in which case you should get round it.

probably not worth worrying about unless anything happens!

Red3Chilli likes this.
  3. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

No. Sure, you can restore the stock firmware and reset the "flash counter" but legally your warranty will still be null and void and to claim otherwise could be considered fraud.

(This is stated not to impose moral judgement but to clarify the position of Android Forums. What individual users choose to do is their business and theirs alone.)

Red3Chilli likes this.
  4. Red3Chilli

Red3Chilli Newbie

Thanks for your answers guys! :)

5. Red3Chilli

Red3Chilli Newbie

Oh one more thing, there does seem to be something wrong with my phone, its not because i have a custom rom, as you know, But i might put on KG5, if i do send it back ,and maybe they wont check that ( but ill deal with that anyways) i got the firmware, but its just "I9100XXKG5_I9100OXAKG5_I9100XXKG5.tar" using odin, will this wipe my phone or just change the build number to the stock (gingerbread?) or will it change the baseband number and kernel version from KG6, or will i have to change that at all if it doesnt?

(the problem with my phone is that its not receiving some calls, and is receiving others, and one person cant even call or text, also the connection when not using wi-fi is pretty bad and there is a delay on my voice when in call, not like an echo, just takes about 0.5 - 1 second for the person on the other end to hear what i said), if you know the problem to that, that would be awesome, if not thats cool!)

Thanks again! :)

6. Sydney99

Sydney99 Android Expert

if you flash the KG5 package, it'll change baseband/kernel/build. it shouldnt wipe anything. do this manually if you want it wiped.

your other issues are beyond me!

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews