• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting/Flashing and warranty

Red3Chilli

Aug 25, 2011
Whats up guys!

Im just wondering about the whole rooting and voiding your warranty thing.
Ive read a few threads on here, but im still not sure.
I have villainRom on my Galaxy S2 and assuming having that on it, DOES void my warranty, is there any way around this?
If i flashed it back to a stock rom, would they notice that it had a custom rom. Also what is/would i have to "un-root" the phone, and how simple is this?

Thanks guys! :)

to unroot you would just reflash your original stock firmware. job done.

there is an internal "counter" on your phone that clocks whether you've rooted etc, so your carrier can void your warranty if they check this, even if you've unrooted and gone back to original firmware.

but you can buy a usb jig from ebay that will reset this counter too, in which case you should get round it.

probably not worth worrying about unless anything happens!

Reactions: Red3Chilli
Upvote 0
I have villainRom on my Galaxy S2 and assuming having that on it, DOES void my warranty, is there any way around this?

No. Sure, you can restore the stock firmware and reset the "flash counter" but legally your warranty will still be null and void and to claim otherwise could be considered fraud.

(This is stated not to impose moral judgement but to clarify the position of Android Forums. What individual users choose to do is their business and theirs alone.)

Reactions: Red3Chilli
Upvote 0
Oh one more thing, there does seem to be something wrong with my phone, its not because i have a custom rom, as you know, But i might put on KG5, if i do send it back ,and maybe they wont check that ( but ill deal with that anyways) i got the firmware, but its just "I9100XXKG5_I9100OXAKG5_I9100XXKG5.tar" using odin, will this wipe my phone or just change the build number to the stock (gingerbread?) or will it change the baseband number and kernel version from KG6, or will i have to change that at all if it doesnt?

(the problem with my phone is that its not receiving some calls, and is receiving others, and one person cant even call or text, also the connection when not using wi-fi is pretty bad and there is a delay on my voice when in call, not like an echo, just takes about 0.5 - 1 second for the person on the other end to hear what i said), if you know the problem to that, that would be awesome, if not thats cool!)

Thanks again! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones