• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting for Data Recovery?

Hello forums,

This is my first post, I have created this account for a specific purpose, I hope you can help me :)
I have realized that there are some photos and videos that are very important to me that were deleted from my phone and have been deleted from my google photos around July 2020. I wanted to try these data recovery tools but they require root- which would wipe my phone, correct?

I would do anything to retrieve these files... I did not know they were important but now I realized they were extremely important to me. It is my fault, but I would try any solutions you have to offer. How do I root without losing my data?

Thank you... :)

It does depend on the phone and root method. With my old HTCs there were ways of rooting without wiping (in fact I'm not even sure that a bootloader unlock triggered a reset back then), but the most straightforward way will indeed result in a reset on most models.

But yes, root methods depend on the device, so you'll need to tell us what phone you have before anyone can advise. And you definitely don't want to do anything that will cause a factory reset, because any phone released in the last 6-7 years will have encrypted storage and resetting will erase the encryption key, at which point you really are out of luck.

Upvote 0
It does depend on the phone and root method. With my old HTCs there were ways of rooting without wiping (in fact I'm not even sure that a bootloader unlock triggered a reset back then), but the most straightforward way will indeed result in a reset on most models.

But yes, root methods depend on the device, so you'll need to tell us what phone you have before anyone can advise. And you definitely don't want to do anything that will cause a factory reset, because any phone released in the last 6-7 years will have encrypted storage and resetting will erase the encryption key, at which point you really are out of luck.
Hey there, I have a huawei p30 lite. Thanks

Upvote 0
Hey there, I have a huawei p30 lite. Thanks
so first off always head over to https://forum.xda-developers.com/ for anything root related. it is there that you will find if there is a way to root your phone. if there is a subforum for your device than that means there are developers supporting your phone and most likely will have guides on how to root it.

and after looking at xda, it would seem that your phone has a locked bootloader. and nobody has found a way to unlock it......so rooting will not be possible on your phone.

sorry.

Upvote 0
Hello forums,

This is my first post, I have created this account for a specific purpose, I hope you can help me :)
I have realized that there are some photos and videos that are very important to me that were deleted from my phone and have been deleted from my google photos around July 2020. I wanted to try these data recovery tools but they require root- which would wipe my phone, correct?

I would do anything to retrieve these files... I did not know they were important but now I realized they were extremely important to me. It is my fault, but I would try any solutions you have to offer. How do I root without losing my data?

Thank you... :)

That was well over a year ago, and if you've been using the phone since then, it's extremely likely the deleted data would have been overwritten, and thus impossible to recover.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones