• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

why would you want the phone as clean as possible prior to rooting?
it is just a precaution is all that it is. just in case you run into issues have a clean phone prior to rooting may make the process that much easier. but that is up to you.
Hi, so I rooted my EVO just fine but i lost it on labor day n got a new one. I'm doing exactly what I did before following the instructions but I seem to can't get pass the revolutionary part when i connect my phone. The screen stays at "waiting for device" someone please help, I'm about to lose it lol
did you do all of the steps in the before root section? so make sure that there is htc sync, pda net, double twist installed on the computer. did you install the correct drivers? do you have usb debugging on? is the phone set to charge?
So i have gotten s-off but when i reboot to load the .zip it does not show the file. I have checked many times that it is in the root folder. I have also redownloaded and replaced the file but still no luck.

make sure that you are not putting it in a folder named root. it needs to be just on the card and not in any folders at all.

Upvote 0
Rooted with no problem. Thanks for all the help...this is a great thread. Keep the info coming!!! :D
welcome to the forums!!!!!!!!!
congrats on getting your phone rooted. now go and get your flash on.:D

read the other sections of the guide as it has a lot of info that will help you no that you are rooted.

Upvote 0
I did all the steps prior to rooting n made sure usb debugging was enabled. But from my understanding, I thought I was suppose to uninstall HTC sync, pdanet n etc. Could it be I installed the upgrade that just came out?

yes uninstall those before rooting. i believe that a few people have reported that they accepted the 4.53.651.1 update and was still able to root. so what exactly is the issue?

Upvote 0
After I unistall HTC sync, pdanet, etc... Have the phone on usb debugging, put the super user zip on my SD card, put it on charge only n go to run revolutionary... It stays at "waiting for device" even tho my phone is already plugged in. I've tried reinstalling revolutionary, the driver, n even the super user file. Nothing is working. Oh n even ran reflash package n kept getting this error "unable to root. Is your firmware too new?"

Upvote 0
After I unistall HTC sync, pdanet, etc... Have the phone on usb debugging, put the super user zip on my SD card, put it on charge only n go to run revolutionary... It stays at "waiting for device" even tho my phone is already plugged in. I've tried reinstalling revolutionary, the driver, n even the super user file. Nothing is working. Oh n even ran reflash package n kept getting this error "unable to root. Is your firmware too new?"

If you plug in your phone normally, does your pc recognize it? Reflash package is unrevoked and won't work on hboot 2.16 which I assume you have.

Upvote 0
Hi All, I rooted last night with no problems! Thank you very much for the "How To".

I wanted GB 2.3.4 so I DL'ed Kings based on the My Touch w/ sense 3.0. I instantly didn't like it so I went into recovery , wiped Dalvic Cache, Cache. and Data and then ran Superwipe. After I went into Backup/restore and tried to restore the Nandroid I made before I loaded the new ROM. It said system error. Do I need to reload the 2.3.4 file so as to turn on the device so that I can drag the stock GB back onto my card?

I felt good about everything until just this second. I don't want to brick it.
Thanks for the Help,

Nater

Upvote 0
Hi All, I rooted last night with no problems! Thank you very much for the "How To".

I wanted GB 2.3.4 so I DL'ed Kings based on the My Touch w/ sense 3.0. I instantly didn't like it so I went into recovery , wiped Dalvic Cache, Cache. and Data and then ran Superwipe. After I went into Backup/restore and tried to restore the Nandroid I made before I loaded the new ROM. It said system error. Do I need to reload the 2.3.4 file so as to turn on the device so that I can drag the stock GB back onto my card?

I felt good about everything until just this second. I don't want to brick it.
Thanks for the Help,

Nater

What recovery are you using? There should be usb or mass storage toggle in the recovery to give you access to the sdcard when you have the phone plugged into your computer.

Upvote 0
I used Amon Ra 2.3.

So I have the phone off right now. I should re-boot it with the new ROM I have on it so as to connect to my computer?

Just to clarify I ran Kinged Doubleshot. I'm re-loading it from the SD card and then weh it turns back on I will connect it to the PC. Will my Nandroid I moved to the PC have the stock GB rom on it and I can just drag it back?

Thanks Xtreme

Upvote 0
I used Amon Ra 2.3.

So I have the phone off right now. I should re-boot it with the new ROM I have on it so as to connect to my computer?

Just to clarify I ran Kinged Doubleshot. I'm re-loading it from the SD card and then weh it turns back on I will connect it to the PC. Will my Nandroid I moved to the PC have the stock GB rom on it and I can just drag it back?

Thanks Xtreme

No. Reboot to recovery, select usb toggle, then you should be able to move the nandroid back to your sdcard. I would wipe then restore the nandroid to make sure everything is clear.

Reactions: NaterTots
Upvote 0
It still says "oops something went wrong! please check the recovery log".

I'm not sure what I should do now. In the Nandroid folder I have 2 files. The one from last night and the one I made today. I've only tried the one from today. i'll try the one I made last night.

Same thing. Oops... something went wrong!

Upvote 0
Alright. Im going into recovery. So drag the Nandroid onto the SD card, wipe everything then load it up.

For some reason I cannnot get into Recovery. I've tried 5 times and it justs boots up the phone.

you need to turn fastboot off. it should be in settings/and either in power or applications/uncheck fastboot.

Upvote 0
Alright. Im going into recovery. So drag the Nandroid onto the SD card, wipe everything then load it up.

For some reason I cannnot get into Recovery. I've tried 5 times and it justs boots up the phone.

Make sure you don't have "Fastboot" selected in your phone settings. Sounds like it is enabled and that is why you are booting to the phone.

Upvote 0
It still says "oops something went wrong! please check the recovery log".

I'm not sure what I should do now. In the Nandroid folder I have 2 files. The one from last night and the one I made today. I've only tried the one from today. i'll try the one I made last night.

Same thing. Oops... something went wrong!

did you make a nandroid backup with amon ra2.3? what size card do you have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones