• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies Guide.....the Gingerbread Edition

Can someone please help me, I at the screen where that says Revolutionary CWM v4.0.1.4 when I select install zip from Sdcard it take me to a screen the says REVOLUTIONARY what do I do next?

Do you see a load bar at the bottom of the screen?
Are there any options on the screen?
You should see the contents of your SD card, and the file you are looking for will be at the bottom of the list.
Post back what you see.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I don't know if I skipped a step on not I was trying to find the file on my sdcard. the options that I have are reboot System no, apply update from sdcard, wipe data/factory rest, wipe cache partition, install zip from sdcard, backups and restore, mounts and storge, advanced, and power off.

ok do you have the su file on your card? so when you select installl .zip from sdcard do you see the file?

Upvote 0
Yes 3 times. Ocn I tried debug off and nothing!

ok lets try something easy reboot your computer and also your phone and start all over again. make sure that there is no issues with drivers when you connect your phone. if your computer is not communicating with your phone then we need to fix that first.

Upvote 0
ok lets try something easy reboot your computer and also your phone and start all over again. make sure that there is no issues with drivers when you connect your phone. if your computer is not communicating with your phone then we need to fix that first.

Did that too. My HTC says it fails when I first plug in my phone to the laptop. Everything else is fine.

Upvote 0
OK, super noob here. First, I apologize for these question in advance. So, I have my EVO rooted (I think). Now what? How do you get to use the phone as a modem/hotspot. How do you delete crap programs (NASCAR, Amazon MP3 downloader, etc...), how do you install a new ROM, and why would you? Thanks in advance.

read the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html guide in the after rooting section. also if you have any more questions please create a new thread. lets keep this thread only for rooting gingerbread.

Upvote 0
Few notes worth putting into your step by step as some people are a little skittish of doing things they're not explicitly told to do.

1.) Don't just download the HTC Drivers, download AND install them! If you don't, you may be getting the "Waiting on Device.... For 3 hours." issue.

2.) If you're getting the red triangle, FEAR NOT! You may not be able to verify s-off after running revolutionary (this happened to me). To fix: Pull battery, hold power+vol-d. Run revolutionary. It will recognize that you've already turned s-off and ask you if you want to download and install it's recovery image. Hit "y" and "enter" and let it do that, THEN continue with the guide.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Nein
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones