• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ROOTING For Dummies

After insallng or reinstalling UnrEVOked Forever, I installed and ran WiMax Key Checker and got the message that I don't have Root Access. I shut down the phone and restarted into HBoot to verify that S-Off was still good, went into Recovery (which was still Clockworkmod) and then rebooted the phone from there and re-ran the WiMax Key Checker with the result that I got no error message and my key was present. So, everything seems OK.

Now, I have to re-configure the lost settings and re-insall the lost apps due to the "factory reset." In case I have to reset again (I'm assuming the rooting will hold with UnrEVOked Forever?), does anyone know of an excellent full backu/restore app (including root) that will restore settings. my home screens, installed apps and data to the way I have them before doing a reset? And one that can be installed or moved to the SD Card (which I rarely, if ever, swap)? Thanks.

Upvote 0
i use amon ra recovery that i got from the Switching Recoveries portion of the Gingerbread version of rooting for dummies, it is the only recovery I can speak of. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

In it though, once you have set your phone up in a rom the way you want it, you make a backup, a nandroid, and it does all that you are asking for.

CWM backups prob do the same, and I made one initialy when i rooted, but I have never restored it to see,

Upvote 0
i use amon ra recovery that i got from the Switching Recoveries portion of the Gingerbread version of rooting for dummies, it is the only recovery I can speak of. http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

In it though, once you have set your phone up in a rom the way you want it, you make a backup, a nandroid, and it does all that you are asking for.

CWM backups prob do the same, and I made one initialy when i rooted, but I have never restored it to see,

To add to this you should make a wimax only backup, you will see the option once you switch to amon ra, which is HIGHLY recommended. Then store that wimax only backup in like 8 places for safe keeping. You don't want to lose those.

Here's the thread to Amon RA.

Titanium backup is an app you can use to backup your apps and then restore them after flashing roms. You should never restore system data with Titanium Backup, just apps, you can probably get away with restoring your data for you apps. However you might encounter issues doing that.

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Will I lose root if I upgrade to Gingerbread? If yes, then I'll keep the Froyo. And, if I don't upgrade, will Amon RA work with Froyo? Is Amon RA another custom Recovery or separate -- I really don't want to replace the Clockworkmod that was installed with UnrEVOked.

One more thing (at least for now), now that my phone is rooted, how do I get rid of (permaently unnstall) the pre-installed system apps that came with the phone and I don't want such as games, etc.?

Thanks to all of you for both your patience and your help.

Upvote 0
Will I lose root if I upgrade to Gingerbread? If yes, then I'll keep the Froyo. And, if I don't upgrade, will Amon RA work with Froyo? Is Amon RA another custom Recovery or separate -- I really don't want to replace the Clockworkmod that was installed with UnrEVOked. Thanks to all of you for both your patience and your help.

Yes you will probably lose root, so just flash a custom ROM that has gb on it, for instance Mikg.

You should move to amon ra, its a much better recovery option.

Upvote 0
Will I lose root if I upgrade to Gingerbread? If yes, then I'll keep the Froyo. And, if I don't upgrade, will Amon RA work with Froyo? Is Amon RA another custom Recovery or separate -- I really don't want to replace the Clockworkmod that was installed with UnrEVOked. Thanks to all of you for both your patience and your help.

yes you will loose root if you upgrade. it could also put your phone in an unusual state that is harder to fix. it is just easier to flash a gingerbread rom and be updated. there are plenty of gingerbread roms to choose from.

as far as amon ra goes, it is just another custom recovery. most people here including me prefer amon ra over clockwork mod. i had issues early on because of clockwork mod and so i switched to amon ra and have never had any issues with it.

you can keep clockwork mod if you want as your recovery. you do not need to switch. but just keep in mind that if you have clockwork mod 3 and up you cannot flash certain zip files. basically clockwork mod 3+ only supports edify while most flashable zip files use the amend scripting. only clockwork mod 2.6, the new TWRP recovery, and amon ra 2.3 support both.

Reactions: nick1313
Upvote 0
At this point I'm reluctant to swtch custom recoveries. I'm too new to this and don't want to screw things up (and brick my phone), so I'm being very cautious. The installed Clockworkmod is 2.6.0.0.1 (Not 100% sure of what follows the 2.6). I've used it to backup the phone. Will it do essentially what Amon RA would do in that regad? Can I use it to backup just the WiMax key and, if so, how? Thanks again to everyone.

Upvote 0
At this point I'm reluctant to swtch custom recoveries. I'm too new to this and don't want to screw things up (and brick my phone), so I'm being very cautious. The installed Clockworkmod is 2.6.0.0.1 (Not 100% sure of what follows the 2.6). I've used it to backup the phone. Will it do essentially what Amon RA would do in that regad? Can I use it to backup just the WiMax key and, if so, how? Thanks again to everyone.

clockwork mod 2.6 is fine. it will also backup your wimax keys automatically. so you are good to go. just make a nandroid backup and flash a gingerbread rom.

Upvote 0

In regards to bricking, the only real way to do that is to screw up flashing your radios. If you switch to Amon Ra you will laugh at yourself for worrying about it, but you gotta do what you are comfortable with. ;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Hi everyone,

I am reading all these posts and guides and one question remains:

Is it possible to root the new Sprint HTC EVO 4G 2.3.3 (not upgraded Gingerbread) (2.3.3 came pre-installed)? I found one website that says its possible but you must give ur Serial Number and obtain a Key or something like that...

Thanks

2.3.3 is gingerbread. but to be sure power off (you may need to turn fastboot off. go to settings/ applications/ uncheck fastboot.) then press and hold power+vol down. in the top of the screen it will tell you what your hboot is.

if your hboot is 2.16 then you can follow this guide:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html

if it is hboot 2.1 or less then follow this http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html

Upvote 0
Nandroid backup? Uh (this after all is "rooting for dummies" ;-) ), is that the same as nano backup as in the Guide?

And again...

One more thing (at least for now), now that my phone is rooted, how do I get rid of (permaently unnstall) the pre-installed system apps that came with the phone and I don't want such as games, etc.?

lol yes they are the same thing.

just be careful on what you delete. i would get titanium backup and just freeze the apps you do not want at first before uninstalling them.

Upvote 0
lol yes they are the same thing.

just be careful on what you delete. i would get titanium backup and just freeze the apps you do not want at first before uninstalling them.

When I've looked at the apps under Applications > Manage Applications all that are listed are mostly those I've installed, but few if any of the one's that came on the phone. When I've used Root Exporer I often can't tell from the names what I'm looking at. They appear to be listed by their package names rather than the labels displayed under All Applications.

I will give Titanium a try (I've already got MyBackup Pro, which expanded to include some more tools and options once the phone was rooted).

As for Gingerbread -- where do I look for the best, most bug free Roms? Again, I'm really new at this (and here, after some 20 odd years of professional experience, I thought I was a technology expert -- goes to show you where pride can lead :eek: ),

Thanks.

Upvote 0
When I've looked at the apps under Applications > Manage Applications all that are listed are mostly those I've installed, but few if any of the one's that came on the phone. When I've used Root Exporer I often can't tell from the names what I'm looking at. They appear to be listed by their package names rather than the labels displayed under All Applications.

I will give Titanium a try (I've already got MyBackup Pro, which expanded to include some more tools and options once the phone was rooted).

As for Gingerbread -- where do I look for the best, most bug free Roms? Again, I'm really new at this (and here, after some 20 odd years of professional experience, I thought I was a technology expert -- goes to show you where pride can lead :eek: ),

Thanks.

that is correct when you look at them on the system partition like you do when you use root explorer then they will be in apk form. titanium backup is a great way to first freeze the app you want and then it can uninstall or even delete it.

as far as gingerbread roms, try mikg2.5

Upvote 0
Ok. Now another problem and I don't know whether this is a result of rooting or what. This has two parts that I think are related.

First, at different times I installed two or three screenshot apps, all of which had an option for changing the folder in which the screenshots are saved. With all of them, but one, when I tried to take a screenshot I got a mesage saying in effect that the app couldn't find the SD card (none of my other apps appear to have this problem). The one that didn't have this problem would "lose" the name and location of the specified folder (even though in the app's settings it continued to list the folder). As a result the screenshots were saved to "null" and, thus, not saved at all. Are these things bugs in the software? If not, what could be causing them and how can they be fixed.

Second problem: I have an app that keeps changing its "Label" to the package name and disassocating the icon from the app. When I try to start the app I get the message that the app has been unnstalled (or is no longer on the device -- I can't remember which). Is this related to the above problem? Is it a bug in the app? How can it be fixed?

Unfortunately, I don't recall whether or not either of these problems was present before I rooted the phone so I have nothing to compae it with. Sorry.

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I had a quick question. I flashed the green lightning ROM which XD said he would try. I did a nandroid backup before. I played with the ROM a little bit but I just like the MikG better. When I restored it many of the settings I had before were gone and a few new things showed up when i did a restore. Some new aspect which were associated with thr 3d ROM. Now i wanted to do another restore but whrni went into the restore I get this error: oops something went wrong! Please check recovery log! I did a cache and delvik wipe and tried to restore again but same error. Any advice please? Thanks

Upvote 0
I had a quick question. I flashed the green lightning ROM which XD said he would try. I did a nandroid backup before. I played with the ROM a little bit but I just like the MikG better. When I restored it many of the settings I had before were gone and a few new things showed up when i did a restore. Some new aspect which were associated with thr 3d ROM. Now i wanted to do another restore but whrni went into the restore I get this error: oops something went wrong! Please check recovery log! I did a cache and delvik wipe and tried to restore again but same error. Any advice please? Thanks

try wiping dalvik cache and cache and restore your nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
I already tried that. I did mention that in the previous post. Should i wipe the entire phone clean with superwipe and then try restoring again?

oops i cant read i guess.:eek:

yep that is a good idea. if that does not work and you get the oops again then in recovery select advanced and then select move recovery logs to sd. then go into your card with a file manager and then find the log. read through the log. it might tell you what happened. if you do not understand the log then go ahead and post it here.

Reactions: kooolaid79
Upvote 0
oops i cant read i guess.:eek:

yep that is a good idea. if that does not work and you get the oops again then in recovery select advanced and then select move recovery logs to sd. then go into your card with a file manager and then find the log. read through the log. it might tell you what happened. if you do not understand the log then go ahead and post it here.

Ok I moved the recovery to the sd card and I couldnt understand it. Maybe you can help me. Its quite long though and it might look a little bad. Sorry in advance!

That looks better! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones