• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting for idiots like me?

I've been a lurker here since about the third week in April when I preordered my Incredible. I came from Blackberry and it was, and is, my first Droid phone. I finally need to ask questions, so I'll freely admit that when it comes to rooting this all sounds like a foreign language. I want to root my Incredible mostly so that I can tether it and hopefully get some better battery life out of it. I've gone so far as to DL the unrevoked reflash.dmg file but I have a few questions first that I hope someone can answer for me before I take this leap of faith.

1) Is there a site or video that walks me through the steps using unrevoked? A site that treats me like the idiot that I am and holds my hand?
2) If I root my phone could I return it to factory spec if I find that it's all more than I can handle? (Assuming I don't brick it)
3) ROMs. So I get that they are software for the phone, but is there a place that's trustworthy that I can DL the best ones from? Like I said, I want tethering and battery life but I watched a video on YouTube last night where some guy did amazing stuff with his Incredible. He even had a screen lock that with dots that he used to unlock his phone. Something that I didn't even know I wanted until I saw it.
4) If I use unrevoked, will it walk me through doing a backup or do I need something else to do a backup before using unrevoked and does it create a file that I save to my computer just in case something happened to my phone. I use Astro now and then copy the file over to my mac just in case I F up my phone somehow and ever need to replace the apps or pics etc.. A copy of a copy I suppose.
5) In case it's not already apparent, I don't know anything about this stuff. Talk to me about motorcycles, cars or videogames and I'm golden; but rooting my Incredible is like trying to learn Chinese. I need hand holding. Help?

And thanks for any help.

Okay so I think I'm finally finding answers to some of my own questions. I'll post them here JUST IN CASE someone rooting noob like myself comes along with similar questions.

I'm guessing that after I root my phone with unrevoked (WHICH BTW does NOT work with Mac OS 10.4) I will have to boot to HBOOT by powering down the phone, then powering back up by holding the volume down and power buttons at the same time. At this point I'm guessing there should be a way to create a backup.

I also found this YouTube video although after seeing some of the comments I'm not sure if it's perfect.
YouTube - Droid Incredible - One Click Root

Upvote 0
Hell yeah, I'm rooted! Now what?

Anyway I'd like to say that if anyone comes here looking to root their Incredible that the video above worked great. There are a few things that got sketchy for me since I was using my wife's Vista netbook (I'm a Mac running 10.4 so I couldn't do it on mine) and he mentions an img file after you're 90% into the process, but other than that it worked great including the tethering.

ALSO, I'd like to direct people considering this to this page Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible ? Technology ? Jonamerica.com the info here is great! I'm running a Ti backup now thanks to this guy and maybe tomorrow I'll remove some of the clutter.

I hope this helps people down the road. Now, if I only knew what to do next now that I'm rooted. I know this phone is capable of so much more.

Upvote 0
too little too late. had the democrats allowed debate on this bill. maybe people would have been more supportive. not saying that more people would have approved, but maybe.
and now that the democrats have shown their true colors, i seriously doubt that you or obama is going to have an easy time of selling it to the public. nobody wants to side with a bunch of scoundrels except maybe other scoundrels.

Now I only managed to get about 3 hours of sleep last but but WHAT?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones