• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting for the first time :X - DOs and DONTs - Help

dbx64

Jun 26, 2011
Good morning everyone,

I am attempting to root my droid x2. Aside from the basics, android seems to be a very in depth little OS and it can be overwhelming, especially since I know I'm at risk to potentially lose everything on my phone.

I would like some assistance and tips to make the rooting as smooth as possible.

I have been following this guide to start the process:
http://androidforums.com/droid-x2-all-things-root/407972-newbie-start-point.html

I will be following this video to root the device:
DroidModderX -GingerBreak apk ROOT your Gingerbread device!

Okay, so say my phone is rooted with no issues. Now, going back to the "newbie start point" guide.

On my computer's desktop I have downloaded the following: Pete's android root tool, the RSD file, and the GB SBF rom to back my phone up if there is an issue.

My biggest question here is, how do I get those files off of my computer and onto my phone.

I hope to hear some informative replies as I am rather clueless right now.

-Thanks
Drew :D

Also, if someone may reply with a step-by-step instruction on what to do first, that would be appreciated.

Just finished rooting my phone and everything went smooth. I was following this website page:
[ROOT/UNROOT] Droid 3 root instructions (One Click added for Windows/ Linux/ OSX) - RootzWiki

At first I was confused because it took more than a couple minutes to search for my phone; however, I needed to install the motorola drivers on my computer first... I didn't know those weren't installed. I just assumed they were because I use the cable to charge my phone over night.

Now that I am starting to read more and more info regarding rooting, it is starting to become more clear how the whole process works. After your give your phone root access, you can begin to DL apps that only rooted phones are allowed to have. Now I need to figure out the next step.

What I'd really like is to (and correct my lingo if you need to) is flash or install a new version of ginger bread. Meaning, 2.3.4 but without motorola's version. I want it to be the "pure android gb 2.3.4" version. Is this possible?

Also, how would I put the RSD, GB SBF, and any other program on my phone just incase there is a need to flash to the stock version incase of a phone issue.

Upvote 0
Sounds great... In that time I'll complete my Christmas shopping.

This is what I have so far... A rooted droid x2 with ROM manager, titanium backup installed on my phone.

As for the RSD no idea how to work this bad boy. The boot strap is a .apk file and I'm unaware on how to use it.

I'll be awaiting your reply,

-Thanks
Drew :D

Upvote 0
My biggest question here is, how do I get those files off of my computer and onto my phone.

Ok, to get files from your computer to your phone, simply plug it into your computer via USB, then look at your notification bar. The USB icon will appear. Pull down the bar and tap the notification, then tap USB Mass Storage, then OK. You'll get two popups on your computer. In alphabetic order, the first drive letter will be your internal sdcard, and the second will be your external sdcard. Open folder to view files, and drag and drop as you would normally across folders on your computer.

What I'd really like is to (and correct my lingo if you need to) is flash or install a new version of ginger bread. Meaning, 2.3.4 but without motorola's version. I want it to be the "pure android gb 2.3.4" version. Is this possible?

There are a couple different routes you can take. If you're simply wanting a stock 2.3.4 without all the Motorola stuff, you can freeze (the preferred method) or delete (gotta be careful here) Motorola's and Verizon's bloatware (those apps you can't usually uninstall) and clean the phone up. Here's a nice list of apps that are safe to remove, but I'd avoid going overboard on how many you freeze or delete.
You could also flash a custom ROM. It definitely won't be stock, but it definitely won't be Motorola filled.
But in all honesty, you're really not going to see any improvements in how your phone functions by getting rid of all that crapware. The X2 is pretty darn beefy. I'm running stock 2.3.4 with all the factory installed stuff on it at the moment after months of trying out all the different custom ROMs, and I don't really see any difference in how fast the phone runs. In fact, the more I customized the phone with custom ROMs and customization apps, the more force closes, bugs and lag I saw.

As for the RSD no idea how to work this bad boy.

[updated][how-to] sbf tutorial [how-to][updated] - xda-developers

The boot strap is a .apk file and I'm unaware on how to use it.

Simply move it to your sdcard, then unplug your phone from your computer, find the file with a file manager, and tap the file. It should ask to install on it's own. Once you install it, you must plug your phone into the wall outlet charger, run the app it installed (it will be in your app drawer titled as "System Recovery"), tap Install Recovery, grant Superuser permission, then tap Recovery Mode once it's installed. It will reboot on it's own into Bootstrap Recovery as long as it's plugged in. Also, it will always boot into Bootstrap everytime you plug the phone in while it's powered off. To stop this, run the System Recovery app again, and tap Charge Mode. Recovery and Charge modes are how you turn that feature on and off.

Above all, backup everything before doing anything. Use Titanium Backup (need the paid version to freeze apps) or AntTek App Manager (free to freeze apps) to back up all your apps and the associated data for them. And if you decide to flash a custom ROM, use Bootstrap to create a complete system backup first. One screw up, and you'll be extremely glad you did.

Upvote 0
That is what I'm trying to do right now. To be honest, the only thing I have done so far is root my phone and install a couple programs. Everything else I'm either getting hung up or stuck and can't figure out.

The first thing I want to do, and you suggested also is, create a COMPLETE system backup. I've searched on youtube and google and can't figure out how to do so. I believe boot strap is needed, in which case I have it on my computer being a .apk file.

I'm not sure on how to install the boot strap file on my phone so I can make the complete system backup.

Upvote 0
That is what I'm trying to do right now. To be honest, the only thing I have done so far is root my phone and install a couple programs. Everything else I'm either getting hung up or stuck and can't figure out.

The first thing I want to do, and you suggested also is, create a COMPLETE system backup. I've searched on youtube and google and can't figure out how to do so. I believe boot strap is needed, in which case I have it on my computer being a .apk file.

I'm not sure on how to install the boot strap file on my phone so I can make the complete system backup.

Like I said above, just put the .apk on your sdcard, unplug your phone from the computer, find and select it with File Manager, install it. It installs the System Recovery app. Plug your phone into the wall, find that in your app drawer, run it. Install Recovery, grant Superuser permission (sometimes you'll have to install again after granting permission, it times out or something) then tap Recovery Mode. Then you're in. Use the volume buttons to navigate, and the power button to select. Go down to Backup & Restore to create your nandroid (system) backup. The backup will be saved on your sdcard in the cwmrecovery folder. It always names the backup after the time and date you created it.

Upvote 0
I forgot that there was Stock 2.3.4 Deodexed/Zipaligned ROM in the custom ROMs sticky. I'm grabbing it now to flash and see what it looks like exactly, since I've never ran it before.

But remember, whenever you flash a custom ROM or delete or freeze stock apps, you have to bring everything back to stock condition to take it back to the store for anything. The easiest way is to use RSD to install the stock ROM back onto your phone after creating a nandroid backup of whatever you have atm. Then when you get home, restore the nandroid backup to get back to where you were at. You also can't even have the Unknown Sources checked in the Applications menu in settings, and you can't be rooted, and need to take off the rooted apps.

Upvote 0
I reread what you posted and figured out what you were saying. I have installed the bootstrapper and I am currently creating a system restore.

How do I get into the recovery mode to restore my backed up image if I had an issue? I wasn't able to access the recovery mode unless I was in the bootstrap program.

I'm just trying to understand how to successfully back up the current android image before I go around adding new roms.

AFTER checking my sdcard my system backup is not there..

Upvote 0
I reread what you posted and figured out what you were saying. I have installed the bootstrapper and I am currently creating a system restore.

How do I get into the recovery mode to restore my backed up image if I had an issue? I wasn't able to access the recovery mode unless I was in the bootstrap program.

I'm just trying to understand how to successfully back up the current android image before I go around adding new roms.

Just don't hit Charge Mode. You'll stay in Recovery mode that way, and you can simply power down or do a battery pull (if you must), then plug your phone into the wall while powered down. You'll automatically go into Bootstrap.

Upvote 0

AFTER checking my sdcard my system backup is not there..

Did you look at your external sdcard? And did you find the cwmrecovery folder?

Upvote 0
Yes I have and it's not there. I watched my phone say backup is complete. The process took roughly 10-15 minutes to complete.

On a side note. I powered down my phone just as you said. Plugged my phone into the wall charger while it was off. After connecting the device, it soon booted into the boot strap. I went to "back up and restore" "restore" and there was an entry with today's date. Now I wonder why it is there but not on my sdcard.

Upvote 0
I don't have that folder either.

Thank you for all the help. I think I'm going to forget about trying to flash my phone with another android version. I'll be patient and wait for Motorola to release ICS on the DX2.

Anyways I do have my phone rooted, is there any cool things I can benefit from? I spent so much time worrying about backing up, restoring, and flashing that I don't know what else can be done with a rooted phone.

Upvote 0
Root simply lets you run apps and install zip files that you wouldn't normally have permission to. Freezing or deleting bloatware, installing custom recoveries, adjusting CPU and memory managements, etc. all need root permission. I run several scripts that I install with Bootstrap. I use a flip-flop script that switches how the phone sees the sdcards so that the external is the one being used all the time instead of the internal, another that adds WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, sound and screen rotation toggles to my pulldown menu, another that keeps the phone showing the correct battery level, and yet another that helps speed the phone up in a variety of areas (granted, the difference is slight, but I can notice it).
We can't overclock the X2 yet (which requires root) because of the locked bootloader, but we can do other stuff, like change the minfree values of memory OOMs which decides what apps to close when it needs more memory.
But the biggest thing about rooting your phone is don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing, or that you really don't want to. There's a reason the phone companies don't like root: you can screw up your phone if you don't do the proper research or don't follow the proper steps. If there's something you want to change about your phone, look in the market for apps that might do what you want, or just post a general question in the forums for direction.

Upvote 0
One last bundle of questions :)

My phone is rooted, running 2.3.4, I did a titanium backup, and a full system backup with bootloader.

My questions are say I want to format my phone back to the day it was when I purchased it from verizon. How would I go doing that? After searching youtube, there are a few different ways to enter what I call the phone's bios. Anyways, the enter it is holding the power + volume down, holding the power + menu key. What is the "bios" called and how many ways is there to enter the phone's recovery mode or fast boot.

And when I power on my phone to get the fastboot menu, why do some android phones have clockworkmod and mine does? However, I did install bootloader on my phone. I believe bootloader and the clockworkmod are together?

Also, say I do that system restore, how would I go about getting some, not all of the apps that titanium backup, backedup.

Sorry for all the crazy questions

Upvote 0
One last bundle of questions :)

My phone is rooted, running 2.3.4, I did a titanium backup, and a full system backup with bootloader.

My questions are say I want to format my phone back to the day it was when I purchased it from verizon. How would I go doing that? After searching youtube, there are a few different ways to enter what I call the phone's bios. Anyways, the enter it is holding the power + volume down, holding the power + menu key. What is the "bios" called and how many ways is there to enter the phone's recovery mode or fast boot.

And when I power on my phone to get the fastboot menu, why do some android phones have clockworkmod and mine does? However, I did install bootloader on my phone. I believe bootloader and the clockworkmod are together?

Also, say I do that system restore, how would I go about getting some, not all of the apps that titanium backup, backedup.

Sorry for all the crazy questions

To put your phone back to right out of the box condition, you use a computer program called RSD to flash factory default ROMs, which are .sbf files not .zip files.

Bootstrap is based on Clockwork Mod, both being custom recoveries.

When you're in Titanium Backup's app and backup list, hit the menu button to get to the batch options.

Upvote 0
I am totally new to this. I want to back up my phone just like it was when I bought it. And then proceed to rooting it. Its of course a droid x2 version 2.3.4.

You have to run RSD, a flashing tool that you run from your computer, to flash your phone back to stock. You don't flash a .zip file, you flash a .sbf file. Look through the Newbie Start Point sticky for instructions on how to do it, and through the Droid X2 - All Things Root sticky to grab the Gingerbread 2.3.4 .sbf file. Then you simply run one of the rooting tools (Pete's, One-Click, and DooMLoRD's will all do it) to gain root.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones