1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting for WiFi Only

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CharlieTango92, Jan 18, 2013.

1. CharlieTango92

None

Jan 12, 2013
    Male
    IT - Student
    Apologies in advance if this has already been posted (but i did search.)

My intent is to root the device to [semi]permanently disable cell functionality (until a restore/unroot.) At the moment I have no desire for a data plan and just wish to use wifi. While I have turned cell/3g/4g off and set it to wifi only, and removed icons relating to cell use, I would like a more permanent solution so as not to result in any accidental data usage (though not sure how this might be possible as i have not activated my device. can't be too careful?)

I'm assuming I'm on the right track by following these steps?

Regarding rooting I have a few questions:

1. will the current UI still be there (or do i at least have the option of keeping it?)
    2. Do i need to make a backup prior to rooting (for all whopping 3 apps i've installed. And i want to keep the games and movie that supposedly ship with the device.) (The IT major in me says yes.)
    3. Do I need a special/specific ROM for disabling cell functions or can i choose?
      1. How do I go about disabling cell functionality after rooting?
    I could probably figure it out on my own, I just don't want to take a chance with the new device, so it'd be nice to have an idea of what i'm doing/where i'm going before I actually do it.

Thanks.

Advertisement

2. youngSWi

youngSWi Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    Turn on airplane mode, then turn WiFi back on. Easy.

3. lnhs2007

lnhs2007 Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 29, 2012
    Male
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's exactly what I do. I've got my old Moto Cliq that I use now permanently as a USB tether device on an old desktop. Airplane mode on, WiFi on, and the tether app running to send the WiFi to the computer. Never have to worry about accidental cell connection, even if its just attempting to activate.

4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    The 2 posts above me are the easiest way to do as you desire.
    Seeing as it's not activated, there is no possibility of data usage and the fact Airplane mode will be on, there will be no data usage, even if it was activated.

But, if you prefer to root, then yes those steps you linked will work.
    You will have the same interface as before root but will not have Superuser permissions with the current rom. I did not see a Superuser.zip file to flash to allow your current rom (after rooting) to be a stock, rooted rom.
    In other words, after unlocking your bootloader with the HTCDev method, then installing TWRP recovery, you still wont have root permissions without the Superuser.zip (not to be confused with the Superuser app in the play store)

I did see a stock-ish type rom that could be flashed, but you will probably lose that movie and games that came on your device.

CharlieTango92 likes this.
Tags: