• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting Galaxy S5

69Rixter

Oct 24, 2014
Central Ohio
afternoon All:

Trying to root a friend's Galaxy S5 (model # SMG900A)- build number-MMB29M.G900AUCS4DPH4. I've got 'developer options" installed. Have checked "Unknown sources" and USB debugging. However, every app I've D/l and installed has failed to root this phone. Gotta be something simple preventing root, but I haven't a clue to what that is. I trying to do this through the phone itself, not via a PC. Could use some advice.
THANX:
Rick

That build number is Marshmallow (Android 6), right? In which case that is the "something simple" that's stopping those apps working. You are going to have to use a computer.

To be honest, using a computer is a cleaner way of doing it anyway. With a custom recovery installed you can back up your ROM before you modify it, and some of those rooting apps install other shady junk in addition to rooting your phone.

Reactions: svim
Upvote 0
I'm not a Samsung expert, so all I can tell you is that many Samsung models can be rooted using a computer (not all, some carriers lock things down very hard). But the exploits those rooting apps used have been closed in 6.0, and from everything I've seen none of them work with newer OS versions. Hence a computer is your only option.

Upvote 0
afternoon All:

Trying to root a friend's Galaxy S5 (model # SMG900A)- build number-MMB29M.G900AUCS4DPH4. I've got 'developer options" installed. Have checked "Unknown sources" and USB debugging. However, every app I've D/l and installed has failed to root this phone. Gotta be something simple preventing root, but I haven't a clue to what that is. I trying to do this through the phone itself, not via a PC. Could use some advice.
THANX:
Rick
Go to your recovery and check write_protect to off, then open your rooting app (for example KingRoot) and root it.

Upvote 0
Go to your recovery and check write_protect to off, then open your rooting app (for example KingRoot) and root it.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure that 'write protect" would achieve the rooting process for this particular model had the bootloader locked either by AT&T or Samsung. Would be interested on your thoughts concerning that issue.
THANX:
RICK

Upvote 0
See if anything here is useful
https://forum.xda-developers.com/att-galaxy-s5/general/guide-merry-christmas-heres-t3516196
Being that you are on PH4, you might be stuck there. AT&T's locked bootloader and availability of firmware doesn't make it easy to root.

I appreciate the info, however, I didn't read anything concerning "unlocking the bootloader...which seems to be the problem in this particular model (S5 G900A). I'm experiencing great difficulty discerning if/how-to override the locked bootloader. Any suggestions on that issue?
THANX:
RICK

Upvote 0
I'm not a Samsung expert, so all I can tell you is that many Samsung models can be rooted using a computer (not all, some carriers lock things down very hard). But the exploits those rooting apps used have been closed in 6.0, and from everything I've seen none of them work with newer OS versions. Hence a computer is your only option.

Thanks for your input. It seems the issue is "unlocking the bootloader" and that said, I've found nothing that details how to remedy that. Would you care to comment on that issue? (Samsung S5 G900A-AT&T)
RICK

Upvote 0
I appreciate the info, however, I didn't read anything concerning "unlocking the bootloader...which seems to be the problem in this particular model (S5 G900A). I'm experiencing great difficulty discerning if/how-to override the locked bootloader. Any suggestions on that issue?
THANX:
RICK

AT&T locks the bootloader up tight and there isn't any way to unlock it.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Not necessarily, I'm afraid - metaphors don't always translate literally.

"Locked" in this case means "does not allow fastboot flashing of individual partitions (e.g. recovery) with unsigned images". So as an extreme case, a bootloader in which the signature checking was hard-coded in, with no mechanism to bypass it even existing in the software, would be one that was locked but not unlockable. Or you could retain the ability to unlock but require a security key which only you have the algorithms and keys to generate, in which case it's unlockable in principle but, if your encryption and the security for its keys is strong enough, not in practice.

Reactions: Jfalls63
Upvote 0
Not necessarily, I'm afraid - metaphors don't always translate literally.

"Locked" in this case means "does not allow fastboot flashing of individual partitions (e.g. recovery) with unsigned images". So as an extreme case, a bootloader in which the signature checking was hard-coded in, with no mechanism to bypass it even existing in the software, would be one that was locked but not unlockable. Or you could retain the ability to unlock but require a security key which only you have the algorithms and keys to generate, in which case it's unlockable in principle but, if your encryption and the security for its keys is strong enough, not in practice.

Hadron:

OK,...well. I'll pass along this thread to the friend with the "unlockable" phone. Don't know what he'll do with it now. And that's a shame for it seems to be a pretty good phone.
THANX:
Rick

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones