• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting GT-S5839i says E: cant mount /sdcard

A custom ROM is a pre rooted either stock ROM or what you have now. Just rooted and may or may not have extra modifications added.
Or it can be fully custom with different boot animations, a numerous amount of modifications and of course rooted.
Before you flash any ROM, it's wise to create a backup in the custom recovery. This way if the ROM fails to boot or bootloops or just doesn't want to work for whatever reason you have a way to reverse what has been done and go back to a working OS.

Upvote 0
This ROM supports your device.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2438129

As stated earlier a nandroid backup is always wise, especially since you're using a Mac!
I also see the dev saying to backup the iemi with an app listed in the thread.
If i were to flash this ROM, where it says do a factory reset in the thread prior to flashing the ROM i would do it 2-3 times just to ensure a clean environment for the ROM to boot. Less issues that way

Here's the link.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2438129

Side note: the dev has a Cwm recovery listed it may or may not be different than the one you have currently.

Upvote 0
I decided not to flash a custom ROM as I now seem to be having 3 other issues with the phone which all began when I made my first post. I'm not sure if they're related but they all involve the phone being unable to receive information.

1) Ever since i've been trying to root the phone running .zip files from Cwm I've been unable to recieve text messages. I get the notificiation icon for receiving them at the top of the phone screen but they are not shown in the inbox and so I can't read them.

2) Email received notification from the Microsoft Outlook app are no longer showing.

3) Apps cannot be downloaded from google play via my Mac Pro to the phone anymore. "Your download will begin shortly" appears then nothing happens.

I have tried restoring backup from Cwm. Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones