1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting help, Chesterfield Area UK

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by topbrewer, Sep 16, 2011.

1. topbrewer

topbrewer Newbie
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    Hi I have a HTC desire about 1 yr old now, whilst im really happy with the function of it, Im really upset about the low internal storage space, Is there any other way of freeing up stuck apps that will not transfer?

Is there any other way of doing this without rooting as Im not confident in doing this.

Im already using app2sd but have only got 5 apps on the phone but only 14mb left.........

Is there anywhere in Chesterfield Derbyshire Uk that could help me please?

Or Sheffield...

many Thanks

topbrewer

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Only 5 apps, or only 5 not moved to SD?

I ask because apps moved to SD still take some internal space (app data, app cache, dalvik cache, and on Froyo app libraries, all remain internal). So if you have a fair few apps it will still use up internal space even if you do move them. But do check that nothing is using unreasonable amounts of space (e.g. how much data the Contacts Storage app is using).

There are tricks to force apps to SD without rooting - I think you'll find this in the hints and tips forum. But if you only have a few apps that aren't moved I'm not sure that will make a huge difference.

Rooting itself isn't difficult - setting up the drivers on your PC is more work. The sticky post "all about rooting" has links to various FAQs and Guides (it's also the red link in my sig). Read the rooting faq a few times, and if you are still interested and there are things you don't understand just ask. There's another guide which will explain the options for increasing your storage (there is more than one way of doing this once rooted).

topbrewer likes this.
  3. stevep94

stevep94 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 14, 2010
    Chesterfield
    I was in a very similar position until recently tbh - overjoyed with the phone but frustrated with the stupid lack of internal memory (and live in Chessie :D, which is what drew me to the thread!) and after looking at all the options I concluded that rooting was really the only way to go!

As per Hadron's post - it really isnt as difficult as it seems - there a loads of guides on here so my best recommendation is to read everything you can and give it a go!

It's honestly the best thing I've ever done (having never done anything even remotely like this before!) and has not only solved the memory issue but now I can freely flash a new ROM whenever I get the urge and its honestly like getting a new phone! :)

Be bold, be brave and take your destiny in your own hands!! :p

topbrewer and Hadron like this.
  4. topbrewer

topbrewer Newbie
    None

Jul 29, 2010
    thanks for your advice chaps, ive managed to move a lot of the apps now using that method in the tips and tricks method setting the install to location 2 which is the sd card,

phone seems much quicker now when doing tasks etc, i have 40mb spare now so well happy, and all future apps should got to sd card....

thanks

Tags: