• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting... help please ?

williamj1

Android Enthusiast
Sep 11, 2010
UK
Ok, so this has been asked kind of before, but they weren't so specific to me so I really wanted to ask myself on this one.

I want to root for two reasons.

1. Proper Apps2SD including all data and caches etc.
  2. Titanium backup
At first, being a noob I though it was just a simple process of using unrevoked, doing that and then doing some apps2sd process or app or something.

Now, having tried to research it all I'm seriously confused. I realised in order to get apps2sd, I would have to flash a new rom with that built in right? I want to keep android 2.2 froyo with htc sense. But that's all.

Suddenly, now I see all this stuff about...

• Making partions Ext1/2/3/4 on sd ?
  • Something about radios ?
  • Flashing roms?
  • Hboot / drivers of some kind
  • Gold cards
  • etc etc... it goes on... you get the picture.
Anyway, all I want is to get apps2sd properly and to be able to do titanium backup. Can anyone tell me if there is a simple way of doing this? and if there is a simple guide or video or something? Or just explain to me here how to do it?

Likewise, I am keen not to lose my current data. I don't mind having to install the apps again after doing a factory reset, but how do I save current game data like angry birds, asphalt 5 etc? Remember I want to keep htc sense and froyo. I really don't have a clue about this stuff :(

Big thanks to anyone who helps.

If you root your current Rom with unrevoked, you can install titanium from the market and backup.

Teppic74 does a rooted stock 2.2 Rom which you can also flash an a2SD+ add on for. Search for his thread here. Since his Rom is stock, you shouldn't experience issues doing a titanium restore to get your data on. A2SD+ requires an ext partition of your SD card which android sees as internal memory. Rom manager can do this.

Radio needs flashing if the Rom doesn't Iinclude it.

Thus is what I suggest.

Root with unrevoked and download titanium and Rom manager.
Backup your SD card, format and partition it
put your files back and titanium backup
Download teppics Rom. Search for his thread here and read it all
download latest radio and his a2SD+ add on.

Boot into recovery and flash the radio, rom and add on.

Boot and go through set up. Download titanium and restore.

That's the order.

Most of it is pretty straight forward and all the information on how to is here somewhere. I realise this isn't a guide but let us know if you get stuck

Reactions: williamj1
Upvote 0
Ok. Thanks.

few things.... sorry :p

What are these radio things?
I don't know how to partition sd?
How do you flash a rom?
How do you boot into recovery?
How do you add apps2sd?

Edit: I think if I'm reinstalling apps anyway I would like to somehow backup app data and then do a factory reset to start from 130mb free. Then all app data would go to sd saving me loads of internal memory :) Does this change things?

Upvote 0
What are these radio things?
It's the software that runs your receiver. A driver if you will

I don't know how to partition sd?
Do it from Rom manager

How do you flash a rom?
Boot into recovery and choose install zip fro. SD card

How do you boot into recovery?
Turn off phone. Hold vol down +power. Use vol to highlight recovery and power to select it. Unrevoked will flash clockworkmod recovery when you run it.

How do you add apps2sd?
It's all in teppic74's thread. Flash the same way as a Rom, after flashing teppic Rom

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Ah I hate this. It's so confusing...

Teppic, I though I just had to flash apps2sd to the stock rooted rom like danfrance said . Now your guide says apps2sd "requires the second ROM (v2.0) with init.d." God knows what that is. Also, the first one appeared to have the radio thing built in. Whereas this attaches it separately. So as it stands this is what I do...?

1. Root with unrevoked3
  2. Download titanium backup, Mybackup Pro and Rom Manager
  3. Backup app data and apk's to computer and online servers
  4. Format micro sd
  5. Partition Micro sd to 400mb????
  6. Boot into recovery
  7. Flash Download ROM with init.d Support (2.0) from your page (the 2nd one down)
  8. Flash Radio 32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2
  9. Flash this - add_a2sd-14-signed.zip
  10. Boot up phone
  11. Download titanium backup, Mybackup Pro and Rom Manager
  12. Restore data

I hope that is correct. Would really really appreciate comments on if so?

Upvote 0
I think your over complicating things for yourself Williamj.

The way I rooted was simply to make sure that all my contacts were backed up on gmail, and then go for it!

It was like having a whole new phone. Pastures green and all that. I like to move into a whole new Epoch of my phones history with each new ROM. Eeeeeeeeeeee. I still understand very little about radio's and add-ons and that, I don't really see the need to flash a radio, unless it comes with the ROM .zip.

Many lucks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones