• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Rooting help Please.

TIrving89

Lurker
Jan 19, 2014
I acquired a Nexus 4 almost a month ago now now and I've just recently attempted to root it.

I went through the whole process on nexus4root.com and nothing happened. I can get into recovery mode and the clockwork command place when ever I want. My phone is unlocked, and it was wiped clean during that process. But when I went to install supersu from SD card it didn't do the binaries.

I rebooyed after the install and tried to open supersu but it gave me that warning of no binaries. I figured I had the wrong zip maybe. Do I got the updated version too and did the same install process. Again nothing happened.

I can't get onto my computer to copy over any zip files so I made sure I had the right ones downloaded onto my phone for the supersu process.

Since I can't connect via media device on my nexus 4. How do I finish the rooting process? The zips I downloaded all claimed to have the binaries and rooting files but they didn't.

Thank you. While that process didn't work either I figured out how to uninstall supersu completely and reinstalled it with the binaries and now the phone is rooted.

So now I ask a complete new question... What's next? I'm looking up information only but its not really telling me what -has- to be done. Just giving me suggestions.

Shouldn't I find some sort of rooted security system so no one can hack my phone ? If so where would one be?

Upvote 0
So now I ask a complete new question... What's next? I'm looking up information only but its not really telling me what -has- to be done. Just giving me suggestions.

Shouldn't I find some sort of rooted security system so no one can hack my phone ? If so where would one be?
What HAS to be done is simple, nothing... it all depends what you want to do. Rooting is not some magical process that opens the doors to Shangri-La, all it does is install a small set of tools that allow you as the user to access portions of the file system that are not normally accessible, such as the "root", system or other directories in the phone with the help of the su binary file which allows you or applications to SwitchUser to a privileged/elevated level that the normal user can not do. Once root access is attained, it all depends what you want to, you can modify things or install applications that need root access (Titanium Backup, Ad Block, ScreenCast, CallBlocker, etc).

Of course, at this point many Nexus users would move onto trying any of dozens and dozens of custom ROMs available.

As for your second question, I am not sure what you mean "rooted security system", your phone is no more susceptible to outside hackers or issues than it was before, basically it is not an issue. When a application or process needs root access, you have to approve it and tell it either Yes or No, and if the answer is Yes, is it just for a short period of time, or can it have that access forever. Even using AV or other security suite of any kind is questionable if it is really needed in Android... if you only install stuff from the major app stores (Play, Amazon, JetJar) or known good applications from developers, security or antivirus applications should never be an issue, now, if you prefer stuff from hack or pirate site, well, then some kind of overall security suite isn't a bad idea.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones