• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting Hero to use Custom ROMs later on seems impossible... To me.

Hey,

I've finally decided to go about rooting my HTC Hero (branded Era G2 Touch by my Polish carrier). Obviously, I started with the easiest way - instantroot.apk but it didn't work on my software and then flashrec (Recovery Flasher) but it also did not work - "Backup Recovery Image" spits out the "Backup FAILED: Could not run command" error - on versions 1.1.2 & 1.1.3 alike. There was only one step left in reaching the unreachable - using Goldcard to downgrade to be able to root it & use custom ROMs afterwards.

I went about it as shown here [GUIDE 16/11/09] Get started rooting Telus HERO130! (No need for QMAT!) - xda-developers

Goldcard creation seemed succesful as I encountered no errors whilst running the update. It started of nicely using the RUU_Hero_HTC_WWE_2.73.405.5_WWE_release_signed_NoDriver.exe ROM as advised in the tutorial and informed me that it will take about 10 minutes to complete. After about 2 however it switched my phone into sort of Recovery Mode - white screen, with three green androids on the bottom, system information on the top and "RUU USB" red lettering in the middle. This is were it stopped. The downgrade/update process. I also was not able to restart or turn of my phone in any other way than by removing the battery. So, at the moment I'm stuck with my oroginal firmware, no Recovery Image (as holding Power & Home leaves me with triangle with exclamaition mark in it and no options at all - no way of turning it of either apart from battery trick) & no prospects for 2.1 in any foreseeable future.
Just to clarify, the installation stopped in the white recovery-ish screen with Windows telling me that it had lost USB contact with the phone - in that particular moment. I do have all the drivers in Windows installed - phone is detected as My HTC, also there is full connectivity through adb and fastboot, so I really don't know what and why went wrong?

Firmware 1.5
Baseband 63.18.55.06IU_6.35.08.22
Kernel 2.6.27-430d1aea
Build 2.73.118.61 CL#79576 release-keys
Software 1.0.0.A6288

Is there any way around it to get the beast rooted so I could use custom ROMs or am I stuck with this getting more and more obsolete by day device on an outdated software?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I finally made it thanks to btdag from XDA forums and I wanna thank him here as well for being very helpful, friendly and informative person!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones