• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting in Linux only?

EABonney

Lurker
Jun 6, 2010
I read in the latest guide that you need the HTC drivers to root the EVO 4G using the Rev Tool. These drivers come in a Windows exe file, so my question is, can I root my EVO with a Linux box only or do I need to use a Windows box? I know the Rev tool has a linux version but what about the HTC drivers?

Yes I know I can run adb in linux and I know that Andriod is based on linux, but the guide seems to imply I need the windows HTC drivers. If all I need is the Rev tool for linux that is great, but I wanted to check before I got going on this.

Thanks,
-Eric

I read in the latest guide that you need the HTC drivers to root the EVO 4G using the Rev Tool. These drivers come in a Windows exe file, so my question is, can I root my EVO with a Linux box only or do I need to use a Windows box? I know the Rev tool has a linux version but what about the HTC drivers?

Yes I know I can run adb in linux and I know that Andriod is based on linux, but the guide seems to imply I need the windows HTC drivers. If all I need is the Rev tool for linux that is great, but I wanted to check before I got going on this.

Thanks,
-Eric

i do not think that you need the drivers as i have not done this. i wrote the guide for windows mainly. but i think you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Yup, you're fine in linux. The drivers are required for windows only.

Yup just ran and everything went fine after configuring my box and fixing my adb server issues. Only problem is that I got the Red triangle issue and when I try to run revolutionary a second time it tells me I already have s-off and does nothing but asks if I want to download ClockworkMod Recovery..which I said no to.

I can't seem to flash the superuser zip file on my device. How do I get back to the bootloader and recovery screen again?

Upvote 0
Yup just ran and everything went fine after configuring my box and fixing my adb server issues. Only problem is that I got the Red triangle issue and when I try to run revolutionary a second time it tells me I already have s-off and does nothing but asks if I want to download ClockworkMod Recovery..which I said no to.

I can't seem to flash the superuser zip file on my device. How do I get back to the bootloader and recovery screen again?

you have two options
1. you can run it again to get clockwork mod select yes.
2.or you can switch to amon ra2.3 read the guide under switching recoveries for the how to's.

Reactions: 9to5cynic
Upvote 0

To get back to HBOOT, power off your device (wait till it's really completely off). Then press POWER + VOL-DOWN together and hold until HBOOT comes up. Volume buttons move up and down the menu. Power button selects. Select RECOVERY.

If the recovery doesn't load, you either don't have one, or it's corrupt. You'll need to manually flash one. I wrote a guide on how to do this for the Evo 3D, but the procedure is the same for the Evo 4G. If you do the sd card (update.zip) method, the file name needs to be PC36IMG.ZIP instead of PG86IMG.ZIP. That's the only difference.

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...lash-recovery-image-via-fastboot-sd-card.html

And it goes without saying that the recovery images provided in that thread is ONLY for the Evo 3D. Don't try to flash those onto the Evo 4G.

Upvote 0
To get back to HBOOT, power off your device (wait till it's really completely off). Then press POWER + VOL-DOWN together and hold until HBOOT comes up. Volume buttons move up and down the menu. Power button selects. Select RECOVERY.

If the recovery doesn't load, you either don't have one, or it's corrupt. You'll need to manually flash one. I wrote a guide on how to do this for the Evo 3D, but the procedure is the same for the Evo 4G. If you do the sd card (update.zip) method, the file name needs to be PC36IMG.ZIP instead of PG86IMG.ZIP. That's the only difference.

http://androidforums.com/evo-3d-all...lash-recovery-image-via-fastboot-sd-card.html

And it goes without saying that the recovery images provided in that thread is ONLY for the Evo 3D. Don't try to flash those onto the Evo 4G.

I got it to work, I neglected to put any kind of a recovery item on to the device. All is working now and Root has been established. :) Thanks for the great guide, but I would offer a couple of items that maybe where glitches for me because I was on Linux.

I preface this with I am a complete newbie and this was my first attempt at Root.

1. I did not realize that I had to have USB Debugging turned on on the phone, the guide only says to have it connected to the computer with USB charging only.

2. As mentioned I did not realize that if I said no to the Clockworkmod Recovery then I had NO recovery on the phone :)

3. Not sure if adb is required to be installed from the Android SDK but luckily I had it and was able to make sure my phone was detected because I was having issues on my Linux machine seeing the phone. Had to google that and play with adb until I got the phone detected.

Other than that, I had issues but all where directly related to the phone not getting detected by my Linux box and had nothing to do with the guide or the super simple and easy Rooting process with Revolutionary tool!

Thanks again for the work folks!

-Eric

Upvote 0
I got it to work, I neglected to put any kind of a recovery item on to the device. All is working now and Root has been established. :) Thanks for the great guide, but I would offer a couple of items that maybe where glitches for me because I was on Linux.

I preface this with I am a complete newbie and this was my first attempt at Root.

1. I did not realize that I had to have USB Debugging turned on on the phone, the guide only says to have it connected to the computer with USB charging only.

2. As mentioned I did not realize that if I said no to the Clockworkmod Recovery then I had NO recovery on the phone :)

3. Not sure if adb is required to be installed from the Android SDK but luckily I had it and was able to make sure my phone was detected because I was having issues on my Linux machine seeing the phone. Had to google that and play with adb until I got the phone detected.

Other than that, I had issues but all where directly related to the phone not getting detected by my Linux box and had nothing to do with the guide or the super simple and easy Rooting process with Revolutionary tool!

Thanks again for the work folks!

-Eric
Don't think adb is required in linux. The dev site says that the linux package is all inclusive, (ie no drivers needed), so I'd assume that *all* of the required packages are there as well.

Hmm.. I thought that the guide mentioned going to debug mode... maybe not. ... Yeah, in step three of before you root, it says to be in debugging mode.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones