• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting - Is it safe for a n00b?

mwjr

Sep 2, 2010
I've been reading about folks who've rooted their Incredibles, and I must admit that I'm intrigued by the idea of having access to these things. So a couple of questions:

1. Is it easy to do? I'm no techno-savant, but I'm not an idiot, either. Somewhere in between. Is it simple to do?

2. Does doing this void the warranty or insurance I might've purchased?

this needs to be moved to the Rooting sub forum, but anyways, read this:

Howto: Root the HTC Droid Incredible - Technology - Jonamerica.com

If you do not understand what he is talking about and all sounds too complicated for you. DON'T DO IT! There are small mistakes and errors both human and software-wise that will lock your phone or brick it. Trust me it's happpened to me. Otherwise good luck if you do root and read the instructions carefully! it's great. :)

Oh, and yes it voids your warranty.

Reactions: KB3MMX
Upvote 0
So easy, even a caveman could do it !
geico-cavemen.jpg

Upvote 0
Just cause you can do it doesn't mean you should do it, hang around this section of the forums for a week or two and watch for all the stupid mistakes people make after rooting their phone, yes most of them can be easily fixed but ask yourself if you are ready to deal with them, a few people have had to have their phones replaced because they didn't do enough research or couldn't follow instructions (nandroid backup ALWAYS!!) But seriously read all instructions at least 4 times no matter how tech savvy you are. You never know when something is going to happen that is out of your control and have to be prepared for it.

Upvote 0
The rooting process it not the problem. Thanks to unrevoked, it really is idiot proof. The chances of anything going wrong, even with someone who isn't technologically savvy, is slim to none.

The real problem comes AFTER you root. Once you have that sort of access to your system, things could go very wrong if you start messing with stuff you don't understand.

Upvote 0
The rooting process it not the problem. Thanks to unrevoked, it really is idiot proof. The chances of anything going wrong, even with someone who isn't technologically savvy, is slim to none.

The real problem comes AFTER you root. Once you have that sort of access to your system, things could go very wrong if you start messing with stuff you don't understand.

What Terabethia said. I just got into this myself. (All I really wanted to do to start is take those damn Amazon MP3 and Skype apps off.) :) But now, there's all kinds of new things to try! I'm no l33t haxorz myself, but it was pretty easy if you do some research and can follow directions. And now that Unrevoked works for 2.2, it should be even easier!

If you're going to remove or change anything, just make sure to look it up first, and see what problems others may have had; don't start moving or deleting files all willy-nilly.

Upvote 0
Unrevoked has made the rooting process, as pain free as possible. They do everything for you. All you need to do id plug and click. But there is so much more to root than rooting. Once rooted, and you have S-OFF, that means security off. You no longer have the security of HTC. and if you mess up and it says that yes your warranty is voice and could cost you. So just do the research. ask the right questions, AFTER searching for them first. people will help you.

Upvote 0
I'll just chime in to reiterate some of what's already been said. Rooting the Incredible is easy, if you can follow instructions. Whether or not to do it is a personal choice. If you don't have an understanding of the various elements that make-up the system, you could find yourself in a bad way. And it does void your warranty.

When I first got into custom ROMs and unlocking, I read everything two or three times then bashed that together with other articles and threads from other sites that I also read two or three times. Knowledge is power.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones