• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting is new to me

From what I understand:

N1 is easily rootable by design (apparently an agreement between google and htc) but rooting places an unlocked icon on your bootscreen that voids your warranty if you have to send the phone back to htc. Currently this icon cannot be removed. Rooting the phone pops up an explicit warning to this effect.

Droid got rooted very shortly after the release of 2.01 (I think the update was specifically what allowed the means to be discovered.) Also, the droid can be easily unrooted, as it came about by exploit, not design.

Phones before that, I can't say. I'm fairly new to android myself. Maybe the next big update for the Eris will hold the key...

Upvote 0
My main reasons for wanting to root my Eris are that I was told you can store apps onto your memory card instead of on the phone. I'm hoping that's true... Also, I want to delete some of the apps that came stock with the phone that I don't use.

I'm with you on the deletion of default apps. Some are just a waste for me, and apparently for many other Eris users.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones