• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting magic?

davidmcc

Lurker
Apr 12, 2010
Without opening the box how can i tell if this Rogers HTC Magic can be rooted or not?

The reason i ask is because some of the newest ones already have the new updated firmware applied to them (or so my friend has told me).

Does anyone think this is the case or not?

@davidmcc: If you bought a Rogers HTC Magic+ (as opposed to a Magic) then it will have the recent 911 Big Fix applied, and you will NOT be able to root it.

From my conversations with RogersMary, it is safe to say that Rogers likely doesn't have _any_ stock of the original Magic left 9as they were all sent back to HTC to be updated with the 911 Fix). They apparently didn't even keep any for themselves to test!

I have never updated my Magic, so my data is currently cut off.

Upvote 0
@davidmcc: If you bought a Rogers HTC Magic+ (as opposed to a Magic) then it will have the recent 911 Big Fix applied, and you will NOT be able to root it.

From my conversations with RogersMary, it is safe to say that Rogers likely doesn't have _any_ stock of the original Magic left 9as they were all sent back to HTC to be updated with the 911 Fix). They apparently didn't even keep any for themselves to test!

I have never updated my Magic, so my data is currently cut off.

I have my Magic rooted now, i got an old phone sealed so it turned out fine.

Upvote 0
May I ask where you bought it? Online, or from some other non-Rogers source? I imagine there are many people still looking to buy non-updated Magics.
Funny you should ask.... I used the Craigslist app from the market and set it to local areas with "android" or HTC Magic. I've bought 3 non updated Magics since last year. My kids have two of them running Cursorsense (1.5 just like rogers but nicer, less bugs, and rooted). Mine runs everything from 1.5 to 2.1 depending how I feel that day. :)

Suggest taking your SIM and a charged battery to test any phone you get. The only issue we now have is that we have to run ROMs with the new radio which keeps me from getting cutoff again. They really need to stop doing that. BTW, 2.1 is very close to being usable for daily use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones