• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root rooting my D2G please help

I am getting ready to root my d2 global, my first droid, first root so newb.
anyway I need to know that all the instructions I have for the rooting of the d2 will work on the global. I am going to use z4root bootstrap recovery for d2 and from there I need to know what else I need to install.
I have astro. also when I downloaded the bootstrap recovery it was zipped and a bunch of different files so which folder do i need to put on my sd card and which file do I direct it to. Im sorry for all the Questions but I want to get this right.

Not sure what you are saying about the Bootstrapper. If you got it from the Market it should have just installed automatically. If this is the case, you do not need to mess with any associated files, they are where they are supposed to be. After it is installed just run it and make a backup of your set up now. Then run Z4 and you are set.

As far as what to download next, it is up to you. You can get an emulator, Titianium backup, root explorer and many other apps. Depends on what you are going to do with a rooted phone. Then you can also review the ROM's available and install one and see how you like it.

Oh, edit. You have to use z4 first, then make your back up before you screw something up. Been a while since I rooted so I forgot the Bootstrapper requires root access.

Reactions: volsfan1965
Upvote 0
I got the bootstrap from a search on here somewhere and its zipped its zipped. I have all the step by step instructions for this and I think I understand them but with the file zipped I looked thru it and there is no .apk file Im gonna put it on my sd card and see what happens. I guess mostly im confused about what to do if an update comes thru and what each rom does and does not do. what the roms change on my phone or what the new theme changes.Thank you for your help.

Upvote 0
vols that's way too many questions in one sentence. you gotta give us a little more information on your current set-up for a good answer to be provided.

The best way to get the bootstrap would be the Market, if you find it online and downloaded it to your computer you'll have to UNZIP it first and then transfer the .APK file to your phone for installation.

Updates coming through for what, the ROM? the bootstrap? a Verizon OTA update?

ROMS completely replace the software running on your phone, so they're actually a high-level change and should only be done once you're comfortable with attaining Root, Creating a Back-up, and doing the more advanced edits to your phone. If you'd like a easier way to start dealing with ROMS the Fusion/Fission ROMS have a very easy to use ROM Manager that does most of the hard work for you, and they have excellent YouTube tutorials on how to go about changing ROMS.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones