1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting my Desire... not going so well

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by travelcat, Aug 14, 2011.

1. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    I'm a noob at this...

Was trying to root my Desire using THIS guide. Ran into "Validation error - Backup CID is missing". Tried a few times but could not get past this error.

I started with a reformatted SD card on a factory reset, unbranded phone.

In checking per the instructions in the Rooting for Dummies guide, I did the checks and discovered that although it has S-OFF, there is no recovery. Sooo, of course I downloaded the recovery file stated in the article, renamed it, put it in the root of the SDcard.

When HBoot loads, there's a short pause, then a bunch of green text quickly scrolls, then - nothing. Just back to the boot screen. I've tried with a couple different versions of both Clockwork and Amon Ra, with the same result. I haven't a clue how to get HBOOT to slow the text down... it might be saying wrong something, I cannot tell.

At the top, it says "Bravo PVT3 Ship S-OFF", but it used to say "Bravo PVT4 Ship S-ON"

The Build on this phone is 2.06.832.1
    HBOOT is version 0.87.0001

Terminal emulator tells me the erase size is 20,000.

Could really use some help here. I really want to root this thing so I can ditch all the crapware it contains - on a fresh factory reset I get less than 60MB of app space... I'm pretty sure the first time I factory reset this thing, I had about 128MB of space... I can't figure out where it's going but at the last I only had room for a total of 6 apps (the rest on SD) and that just ain't right. Even with the "apps to SD" mini-hack, I was unable to move some of the more bloated apps to SD and ended up, deleting them, one by one, as the "low space" icon returned.

At least, I'd like to get the phone back to where it was before - ie, with an actual recovery. Right now if I go into 'recovery' in HBOOT, it goes to a black screen with a phone picture, overlaid with a red triangle/exclamation point, and I must remove the battery before it'll do anything more.

Thanks for any help and advice!

Advertisement

2. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Android Expert
    None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    backup cid missing is a misc error
    you could use the early beta version of unrevoked unrEVOked-3-2-Windoze.exe - download now for free. File sharing. Software file sharing. Free file hosting. File upload. FileFactory.com

if that doesnt work you will need to either try and fix the misc partition by using the guide for usb brick (its the same fix for a different issue) or use teppics downgrade utility from xda developers
    [HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

3. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    UK Technical Lead; Desktop Support
    Riddlesden, West Yorkshire, UK
    I dont understand how you got s-off when my guide is only to root not s-off, and it failed?

As it happens, the second section of my guide, before actually getting to the steps says this:

I'm assuming you did not read the rooting FAQ because if you did, you would have seen this:

Now if you truely are S-off, you need to download and flash clockworkmod recovery 2.5.07.

The file is in my toolbox thread, linked in my signature. You need to fastboot flash this, not use hboot. For that read my adb ans fastboot faq, also linked in my signature.

Can I also just say, rooting is quite simple when you understand it and pretty difficult if you dont. I've written many guides and faq's, all in the "all about rooting" sticky thread here. Reading them would have given you tools and knowledge to not go wrong in the first place.

Remember we are here to help, but you also have to help yourself and research.

4. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    That second guide is for the Evo 4G, which is a different handset. So if you followed those instructions literally, including downloading the Evo software, that was a very bad move. There is a reason unrevoked provide different versions for different phones!

Rest edited out: see if suggestions above work first (esp if it's a misc error).

5. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    damn i missed that from skim reading

At the top, it says "Bravo PVT3 Ship S-OFF", but it used to say "Bravo PVT4 Ship S-ON"

how the fk?

6. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    I think he's tried running unrevoked forever for the EVO 4g - though I'm surprised that did anything, and cannot say whether it's really S-Off or just changed the hboot display.

In fact I fear he's been trying to install Evo recoveries as well, following the links from the Evo tutorial. Guess the problem was googling the error message, picking a link that seemed helpful, and overlooking the fact that it's a different phone.

7. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    SUroot - Yup, I read the faq. However, I decided to research the error a bit before following your advice, and found the other faq which mentions s-off. No idea what that is, but figured it was something that shows whether root was successful or not.

I followed your directions up to the point I got the error, then attempted to follow the instructions for dealing with the error in the alternate document, specifically attempting to fix recovery. I might have gotten into trouble because it did not have the version of clockwork recover you mention - had versions before, and after, but not that one. Neither I tried worked.

I read everything I could before beginning. I very carefully followed your guide up to the error, but as I'm not planning on installing a custom ROM, I didn't really want to downgrade what I have at the moment - I don't know if I'll lose something I want or need.

And, for the record, I didn't download anything for the EVO... I did not even look at unrevoked forever. I used unrevoked3 for the Desire only. I was still following SUroot's instructions when I noticed the version on HBoot had changed. I assumed this was normal and expected. Guess not. Does it mean anything in particular, and is it fixable?

8. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Edit: Ignore all the below. I followed the instructions from k3lcior in this XDA thread. That worked and my phone will now boot to recovery!

I'm not going to try unrevoked tonight, might try again tomorrow though... leaving the below in case it might be useful.

========================================================
    Still not going well. Read what you said, put my phone into fastboot mode, and ran Android Flasher. Pointed it to the .img file I downloaded from the link in your .sig. And, received unhandled exception errors - could not find a part of the path Data\recovery.img - I tried a variety of troubleshooting steps - renaming the file to recovery.img; copying it to the data folder; but the error is still the same.

And yes, the phone is in FASTBOOT USB mode, not HBOOT. Double checked that. I looked at the Android Flasher thread that was linked, but didn't find anything I could use, except that I'm not the only one to see this error.

The FAQ which talks about Fastboot does assume a certain level of knowledge I might be lacking here - I'm a tech, but not a programmer and haven't much of a clue about the inner workings of my phone - but I'm trying to learn. Any help appreciated.

9. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Do not follow advice for other phones.

Please feel free to use other guides etc but ensure they are up to date. Don't mix and match methods from multiple guides. You didn't even need to look else where and you're lucky you haven't bricked your phone.

The fastboot faq assumes no knowledge. It tells you everything you need to know.

Before you go any further, downgrade

10. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    with that particular error if you try everything else and it doesnt work you HAVE to use teppics downgrader in order to root
    then you can flash a rooted stock rom the same as your current one.

did you try the usb brick fix i mentioned?
    this can fix misc errors without downgrading
    http://androidforums.com/desire-tips-tricks/365476-guide-usb-brick-fix.html

please do what is on our guides and nothing else.
    this is for 2 reasons

1. we know for a fact they work
    2. we cant support you with stuff other than our own as we didnt create them and have no intention of supporting other peoples work (they should do it)

you must have done something different to get s-off on a gsm desire. unrevoked will not change the hboot version and certainly shouldnt change the model number as that is hardware.
    it shouldnt change the pvt 4 to pvt 3 anyway, only the hboot version and s-off/on

11. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    SURoot - unfortunately, my email sent me your original email, before you toned it down :)

I have not followed advice for other phones. Only for the Desire. Not that it means much here, but I'm a server admin in real life, so I do know a thing or two about computers. When I get stalled with one procedure, it's normal to go looking for multiple solutions for the new error, research which might be the best, and try that. This is what I did, and it worked.

Anyhow, I haven't bricked my phone, and I have a custom recovery on it. As I said, I'm reluctant to downgrade without knowing what I might be losing, since I am NOT planning on loading a custom ROM. If I was, downgrading would not be a problem.

Rastaman-FB, no I hadn't tried that yet, ran out of time last night. Will try today. If that doesn't work, any other ideas, or is downgrading the only choice?

So, as it stands, my phone works perfectly well, and has a custom recovery that it will boot into. Can we work with that? I'd still like to get root on this phone, before I decide to defenestrate it instead :)

12. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Can you confirm you defiitely have a custom recovery?

From off hold vol down + Power to get to hboot, highlight recovery using volume and power to select. Then please describe what you see.

This thread you linked earlier:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/194918-rooting-dummies.html is for another phone.

Thats always a problem with emailed posts. I misread your post so replied to something that was not the case. It wasnt a case of toning it down.

13. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    the problem is with being a server admin (both me and su root are also admins) is that while hardware can be different the os is the same and mostly drivers and everything else that runs with it is the same.

with android all phones have different methods to achieve the same thing there for the trouble shouting methods in which to resolve issues has to be looked at in a different way
    what doesnt work, what does what, what have you done, what have you not done.

14. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Ok, booted into recovery, it appears to be 4EXTRecovery v2.1.0. There's a menu (let me know if you need me to post what's there), and some info on EXTx... it tells me, fwiw, that my current ROM is htc_bravo-userdebug 2.2 FRF.

I only used the CID section of the Rooting for Dummies guide to figure out if my phone was in the state mentioned - ie, S-OFF and no recovery at all. I used information specific to Desire from the XDA thread mentioned above, to flash the recovery version that finally worked. But, anyway...

So, that's the state of my phone right now. S-OFF, PVT3 (was that something to do with hboot drivers?), and 4EXTRecovery v2.1.0. What now? I'm comfortable working at the command line if there are instructions for rooting directly from recovery... although I guess I still need to get root before that would work

15. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    FWIW, I noted that the unrevoked team is advertising this too, still in beta but wondering if anyone's tried it: Revolutionary

16. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    You could flash one of teppic74's rooted stock roms...Froyo or gingerbread.

Edit, yes it apparently works but you dont really need that.

17. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Ok. Probably Froyo... seen too many threads about folks wanting to downgrade from Gingerbread, including one guy at work that is considering it.

I'll look in your sig to see if I can find links to that ROM and instructions, but if not can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks a lot for your assistance. The space issue on this bloody phone has been annoying me for a while. Like, since about the first week I owned it. I so dearly want to get rid of all the crapware on it.

18. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    Teppic's Froyo ROM can be found here. Personally I'd try one of the init.d enabled versions, as you can optionally add A2SD+ to that.

19. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Ok. Just to be clear: In order to root my phone with a pre-rooted ROM (rather than rooting with unrevoked3) I have what I need - a custom ROM and S-OFF. Correct?

Also, can I do the version without the radio? I know you can seriously brick a phone mucking around with the radio, and I most definitely don't want to mess with the radio at my current level of knowledge.

20. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You are already running Froyo I believe, so your current radio should be OK. It's wise not to mess with those unless you have a problem. That was an unspoken secondary reason for suggesting the init.d capable versions, since from my memory of this ROM those ones don't include radios.

You don't need S-Off to install a custom ROM (at least not on a Desire). If you have a custom recovery capable of flashing the system you should be able to do it.

Edit: But one essential - take a backup from recovery (a "nandroid" backup) before trying to flash anything.

21. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Hadron - thanks. I just want to make sure this is what I need to do - that installing the prerooted stock ROM without rooting first will give me what I want - either a ROM without crapware, or a ROM that I can delete any crapware from? How much storage space for apps is available when flashing this prerooted stock ROM?

I understand the difference between App2SD and the plus version - but I saw a lot of requests in the comments to "add" App2SD to the ROM - does that mean this app won't work, or are they asking for that CAPABILITY to be automatically enabled in the ROM (so the app is not required)? And yes, I saw that the plus version is an addon - one I'd definitely want to install. I bought a 16 GB card so I'd have more room for apps.

Thanks to all for your patience in answering my questions!

22. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    It will have the stock HTC stuff (so things like Stocks, which I always regarded as junk), but no network crapware. It's about as good as you'll get while still running Sense. Being S-Off you can easily remove system apps you don't want, but it doesn't give you more space as the ROM is in a different memory partition. The maximum space possible with standard memory partitions is 148 MB - can't remember how much of that was actually free, since it's about 10 month since I last used this, but most of it I think.

The A2SD add-on (moving apps to an ext partiton) did work, so I guess the questions were probably asking for it to be automatically included. That's not what Teppic was after with these ROMs though - close to stock, with modifications optional. One caution though: I don't know what happens if you flash the a2sd add-on without having an ext partition on your card. Most modern scripts cope with this, but the earlier ones did not, with the result that the phone could not boot, and I don't know what script is used here. So if you want to use that option, it's probably best to partition the card first. But it can be added later, no problem (but best not left until you are out of space even with apps moved to the SD card).

travelcat likes this.
  23. travelcat

travelcat Guest
    None
    Hadron - great. Is there any list of what kind of crapware (like stocks) are part of the stock ROM? Should I be able to remove stuff right now with S-OFF? How - so far using appbrain to attempt uninstall (because no option available in Applications) has failed.

Also, is there any way to tell which apps are installed in the ROM partition vice the App space? *something* is in there, since the max I've seen available is 70MB, nowhere near the 148 you mention.

I knew about the partitioning before using app2sd+ - I'd have to see how much room I can actually regain by uninstalling junk before considering it.

24. SUroot

SUroot Android Expert
    None

May 25, 2010
    Just so you know, you don't need to be rooted to flash a rom. You just need custom recovery, which you have.

However, you will need root in order to run root only applications. You dont need to root, you just need to flash a rom that has root, as per previous suggestion.

Since your rooting process went wrong, I definitely suggest flashing Teppic's rom after doing a full factory reset in recovery. This way you have a fresh, clean slate to start from.

This factory reset will set your /data partition back to empty and just install everythign again manually on your new rom. Make sure you nandroid like Hadron said. Also backup usign whatever application things like SMS, bookmarks and even contacts if they are not google contacts.

25. Rastaman-FB

None

Sep 11, 2009
    UK
    i still want to know exactly what went on the put a pvt3 hardware hboot that is s-off onto a pvt4 device and telling the device is different hardware to what it was

in addition to that hes got 4ext recovery which is not part of unrevoked. that needs to be manually flashed onto the device via fastboot or android flashing (which also uses fastboot)

theres information here that doesnt make sense and is very confusing to me as hes not been forthcoming in detailing EXACTLY what has been done.

i just read that actually you only used our guide for determining CID/misc which is why were having issues as we dont use other guides as they tend to be messy and people lack support in them afterwards.

does your hboot have a big "alpharev" in pink at the top?

if it does then i very much doubt you were pvt4 before hand. its quite likely it was pvt3 ship s-on especially with the hboot version you were on. 0.87 only came on pvt3 and before afaik and pvt4 devices were shipped with froyo on .93

Tags: