• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rooting my phone not working

Yvanotju

Lurker
Jun 15, 2020
Can anyone help me ? Im booting a Samsung Galaxy J7 2016 (android 8.1.0). I never booted anything before but i got a couple of tutorials. But in the 'teamwin' menu i cant find any img files to install.
I used a different micro sd cards but it does not work
Does anyone know how to fix? Or how to put an img file on the phone without SD Card

Been a little while since I used TWRP, but I never had any problems finding files on SD. Where on the SD have you put it?

Transferring files to the phone's internal storage is also an option. Just copy over USB, nothing special needed.

But why are you talking about img files? ROMs are usually flashed from zips. Which makes me wonder whether that's the problem (TWRP is looking for zips and not showing you other file types): does it show other files on the card, or nothing at all?

Upvote 0
@Hadron is correct, twrp flashes .zip format. If you're attempting to flash a .img file it will need to be placed within zip format. For instance the first picture below is a custom kernal developed for my Samsung N4. The second picture is what is inside the .zip and as you can see there's the boot.img. . All TWRP flash-able .zips require a META-INF folder as part of the .zip, otherwise you'll get a fail to install.

Screenshot_2020-06-15-06-14-31.png

Screenshot_2020-06-15-06-12-20.png

If you downloaded the .img in .zip format was it to internal or external sd? Try using a file manager to move copy it to the root of your external sd. Look to your download folder.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones