• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

rooting my phone

Ok, so officially they don't recommend it to the everyday user(and they really shouldn't), and will provide no support for it.

Rooting Your Phone: T-Mobile Disclaimer | Android Phone Fans

And worst case scenario, if they truly claim that rooting the phone will void the warranty, you can simply unroot it there for unvoiding the warranty.

Agreed, I was also told the same thing by a TMO rep. It will not void the warranty.

JUST MAKE SURE YOU READ PLENTY ON IT AND FEEL COMFORTABLE DOING IT WHEN YOU FINALLY GO FOR IT.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replys. I'm getting closer to talking myself into it. The only con I see is if the phone gets bricked for something other than the root job and I can't get a legit copy back on it to get it fixed/replaced.

Sooo.... I know I'm gonna do it, I guess I'm just being a procrastinating little whiner. Hahaha

Upvote 0
I stand with pvtpilot. lol

I want to, and I know I can. But I really dont like the "chance" of bricking my phone. I would die if my phone got bricked and was not able to revive it again. Is there a sure fire way to at least know if the install doesn't work...that I can still recover it and at least get it to continue working like how it was before I tried to root it?

Upvote 0
I stand with pvtpilot. lol

I want to, and I know I can. But I really dont like the "chance" of bricking my phone. I would die if my phone got bricked and was not able to revive it again. Is there a sure fire way to at least know if the install doesn't work...that I can still recover it and at least get it to continue working like how it was before I tried to root it?

Bricking you phone is EXTREMELY hard to do during the root process, I have honestly NEVER heard of a bricked phone from rooting... so far the only bricks I have heard of were installing the Haykuro hard SPL and those were because of hardware not the process.... in other words rooting although it seems like a daunting task is really not so bad.... and the rooting guides on this site from Devolio and JustKimJpc are both very good and if following directions isn't for ya than check out #androidforums on IRC someone is always around to guide you through the process if you need it... and rooting does not void the warrenty....

Upvote 0
Well for me, I'm not afraid of rooting. Heck I've been screwing with computers since I was a kid. What I am afraid of is AFTER rooting it, say I drop it and the screen is not operational. I would take it down for replacement, as it is insured, and during the fix it process they say, "oh we're sorry. This phone no longer has our software on it so we are not going to fix it."

That would make me mad cuz now that I've got a G1, no other phone will do so I'd be out some change for a new one.

Btw, which root is better? I read a lot about the jesus freak being a great one.

Upvote 0
Well for me, I'm not afraid of rooting. Heck I've been screwing with computers since I was a kid. What I am afraid of is AFTER rooting it, say I drop it and the screen is not operational. I would take it down for replacement, as it is insured, and during the fix it process they say, "oh we're sorry. This phone no longer has our software on it so we are not going to fix it."

That would make me mad cuz now that I've got a G1, no other phone will do so I'd be out some change for a new one.

Btw, which root is better? I read a lot about the jesus freak being a great one.

ok, again rooting does NOT void warranty on your phone... JesusFreke's builds are AWESOME and he is the pioneer of all rooted builds... however there are better ones.... my two personal favorites are Devolio's build http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/JFADP1.5DEVoldSU.zip and Cyanogen http://www.getyourdroidon.com/root/update-cm-3.4-signed.zip .... as for not being able to fix it mod it or otherwise there are enough of people in the know around to walk you through just about any problem you may encounter...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones