1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting my phone

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by don2775, Aug 20, 2012.

1. don2775

don2775 Member

I am thinking about having a computer geek friend of mine root my triumph.. I am nervous that when he does ( he is very tech savvy) I will lose all my pics and videos that are on it now or that it might not work well anymore, it has worked very well so far on the stock system ( I have had no problems at at all with it). I do have most of them backed up on my computer. He says he can do it so I can switch back to the stock system if I want. He also said he can do it so that I can boot up from either the root system or the stock system. I am just looking for a way to get more storage, I have everything that I can on my SD card, yet I only have about 8-9% space available. Thoughts please?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. StarScream2109

StarScream2109 Extreme Android User

Okay if you root your phone you will not lose ANY data as far as I know you can't be rooted and unrooted at the same time if you want additional space best bet is to buy a bigger SD card

Also I went ahead and moved this thread to the "all things root" section
    Questions or concerns? Feel free to PM me :)
    Thank for understanding:)

3. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

4. buzzcon

buzzcon Android Enthusiast

To be on the safe side, just copy all the info on your Micro SD card to a folder on your computer. That way if something were to happen, you would have a back up to work off of.

5. rcarter10

rcarter10 Well-Known Member

You won't lose any pics or videos because they are on the sd card.rooting won't really do anything noticeable to your phone, but you'll be able to do things after that you can't now

don2775 likes this.
  6. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

Don't worry about losing anything, as the others have said.
    You may be running out of space because of the log file issue some users have reported. Seems that the stock ROM writes log files that never get deleted.
    After rooting, if you install a custom ROM, that problem will be gone.
    Rooting just allows certain apps to have root access, if they request it. Like Titanium Backup and ES File Explorer.
    Look in the sticky guide at the top of this forum for details, but basically you just open Terminal Emulator (or download one free on the Play Store) and type: SUDO
    Then you type in these two lines:
    ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/bin/su
    ln -s /system/xbin/sudo /system/xbin/su
    reboot, and bam, you're rooted.

No big deal, really... don't be nervous.
    ;)

don2775 and agentc13 like this.
  7. buzzcon

buzzcon Android Enthusiast

It's not a big deal until that priceless photo is accidentally deleted. I guess I was suggesting that it's a good idea to have a copy of your photos and videos stored somewhere else. That's all.

8. rcsrich

rcsrich Android Expert

Yep, rooting is super easy on the MT and you won't lose a thing! It sure sounds like you have the runaway log file problem- really easy to fix by deleting them every once & a while, but you do need to be rooted.

don2775 likes this.
  9. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles

That won't happen during the rooting process. And it could already happen if you are not rooted.

Yes backing up your stuff is important (very much so), but you should do that already and rooting this device won't delete anything.

don2775 likes this.
  10. Cataulin

Cataulin Member

I would honestly be more worried that your techy friend may find some pics or files you dont want shared. Rooting is a five minute process and you'd be losing out alot if you didnt do it yourself.

11. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

Ha ha! No doubt :D

12. thangfish

thangfish Android Expert

ANYTHING important to you should always be stored somewhere else besides your phone... yep. Accidents happen, phones break, get lost, stolen, etc...
    I'm all for having multiple backups.
    rule of thumb, from experience :mad:;)

13. don2775

don2775 Member

OK..what's the best system to install after root. I would like to be able to use the camera and video options. Actually everything that I have now :)

Motorola Triumph Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews