1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting new phone...

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by klear6, Jan 14, 2016.

1. klear6

klear6 Newbie

Every time I say what my model of phone is they shove my post into a forum with no answers so I have to be as generically specific (if that makes any sense) as possible. It is kind of unfair really...I post my questions for a specific audience. If I wanted to talk only to the few people who have my model of phone when I also have general questions then I would have posted there in the first place. So, mods, give me a break and let me get some help figuring it out. I know roms are tailored to specific phones but I also know that people with any rooted phone can help me to some degree. I will tell you all I can. It's a current generation phone.
    To quote my original post which was relocated:
    I've had an H** O** ** for a couple of months now and if you ask me it is a pretty awesome. At least in comparison to the ****x* L****I used to have (but it was a TROOPER! I still use it on wifi to mess around with new apps). I rooted the older one with Odin and have been pretty conservative with the new phone because I am paranoid about bricking it. I really, really like it =P

So, now that I am brave enough to start using it to it's full potential I would like some advice.

What do you guys think is the best way to root it?

Where can I get a flash of the factory rom that is a reliable source?

What did you guys do when you first rooted your phones?

How do I make a good backup? Preferably for free.

Is there any way to back up any of my settings are restore them after I root it?

I know that's a bunch of questions - but if you could just take the time to maybe answer one or two it would be greatly appreciated and put to good use. I'm in that limbo of half-noob.

Thanks a bunch guys - I know you will have some good advice!

And I am sorry for the rant I am just frustrated.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Your post was answered in the correct thread. You are going to get the best answers in your specific device thread. All the people who have owned and rooted that phone have more experience with your phone than us in the general section of the forum who DO NOT have your phone.

I would also suggest you go to XDA forums which has more detailed information about rooting.

3. klear6

klear6 Newbie

OK now my post disappeared. What is going on? Should I start a new thread about what are popular apps to take advantage of a rooted device in general?
    I guess I asked a few too many questions for one post. Sorry about that.

4. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

@klear,

I see you have two recent posts in this thread: http://androidforums.com/threads/advice-on-rooting-htc-one-m9.989292/ with no deletes/removals apparent to me.

Astute and very knowledgeable member @Hadron gave you some excellent feedback in that thread.

@tube517 is correct that you'll usually get the best root-/device-specific advice in your device's forum vs. a general area like (this) Android Questions or the Android Rooting area since that's where you'll find posts/threads from like-minded members.

That being said, there are nuggets of information in other places that might be of help to you. For example, in our FAQs area:

Hope that helps and cheers!

5. klear6

klear6 Newbie

Wow thanks for looking into it! =D

scary alien and Mikestony like this.
  6. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

Don't confuse rooting your phone with installing a custom ROM. They are two different things.

7. ThePhizzle

ThePhizzle Well-Known Member

Even with the *** o** ** i knew he was talking about an HTC One...hehehe...