• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting on a Mac

Hi, I had a droid 2 and the screen cracked, so I picked up a Droid 1 from a friend and wanted to root it so I can get the same performance out of it as I had on my droid 2, the only catch is I have a Mac computer, and am having trouble finding any info about rooting using a mac. my droid is running android 2.2.2, Build FRG83G. Is there a Way I can do it, or do I have to get access to a windows pc to root my droid? thanks for your help!

There's an app that will root it for you. Z4 Root maybe? I can't remember the name. But I have a MacBook Pro and I rooted using Win7 on Boot Camp. I didn't use Windows much after that, so I wiped the partition, otherwise, you can install it using Windows on a Boot Camp partition.

That isn't to say you can't root with OSX. I rooted my Eris using Terminal and the SDK. But you're right, there is no set of instructions for rooting a Droid on OSX.

EDIT: Just found out RSD Lite, the program you have to use to root a Droid is Windows only.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones