1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting on Mac

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by edotensei12, Dec 17, 2013.

1. edotensei12

edotensei12 Lurker

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 GT-N7108 from china, i'm having difficulty trying to root and i have always found pc versions to root but never for mac. If there were anyway i can root without using parallels desktop please reply!:thinking:

If you need more information about the phone, PM me.:)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

I'd first make sure that it's a real GT-N7108, not a Chinese clone of one. Chinese clones are seldom the actual phone they claim to be clones of, and we've seen many reports here of hard-bricked phones rooted or ROMed in ways that th real phone would take.

Then either look for an adb method of rooting the phone (there are plenty of them on the web - and I'm assuming that there's a Mac version of adb) and root that way (all it takes is that adb is running in the Mac, the rest is adb commands and Android files) or find a Mac rooting file for the phone (which is the adm method, written into an adb script for you and - IF DONE CORRECTLY - will work just as well).

3. edotensei12

edotensei12 Lurker

Since I am very new to rooting and such, i don't really understand "adb" or "adm". Secondly, i'm not very sure if my device is a Chinese copy or a real Note 2, is there anyway to check?

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Where did you buy the phone? Did you actually buy it from or in China? Have a look at the "Kernel version" in the about device menu. If you see "CST" in the kernel date then it's a Chinese fake, if you see "KST" then it's a real Samsung. If it's a fake one, you might not be able to root it at all.

FYI the N7108 is a dual SIM version of the Note 2, specifically meant for sale in China. Most likely does not have Google apps and services on it.

breadnatty08 likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

I've usually found baseband versions helpful in spotting fakes (as these are rarely spoofed).

mikedt likes this.
  6. edotensei12

edotensei12 Lurker

I have just checked my phone a few minutes ago, and it turns out to be KST! Since i have confirmed that my device is real, what are some alternative ways on rooting on mac?

7. edotensei12

edotensei12 Lurker

Help guys! i have been trying for about a month and a half and i can't find anything! Can you help a guy out?

8. credemann

credemann Member

Be ready for a bit of reading. This is how I unlocked and rooted my note 2 from Verizon. I now have a Mac and instead of using the first link to Casual use JOdin3 which I downloaded onto my Macbook Pro. You may need to join XDA to download the files stc.

Here is a link that on page 23 says it works on your model:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276&page=23

Below is what I did for my Verizon phone.

[TOOL/UTILITY][CASUAL][NIGHTLIES][INSTABUILDS] CASUAL- NO You Verizon - xda-developers

The above link explains rooting etc.

[Release] JOdin3 CASUAL Cross Platform and Web-Based Flashing For Samsung Phones - xda-developers

The above link is how to use JOdin3. One of the keys is make sure you don't forget (like I did) to start your Note 2 in Download mode.

Sorry but a step by step method may not work because sometimes what works with my phone may not necessarily work with yours. Because I have a Verizon phone it is an SCH-I605 and not the one you have. Be sure to apply the instructions to your phone's model number GT-N7108. Be patient are read all the instructions and if you don't understand something look it up or ask questions. Be patient and I hope this helps!

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 release date was September 2012. Features and Specs include a 5.5" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 3100mAh battery.

September 2012
Release Date
Reviews