1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Rooting on the Telus network (Canada)

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skynet99, Aug 21, 2011.

1. skynet99

skynet99 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Hey guys, I apologize in advance for asking a question that may have already been answered, but I'm new to this. I'm on the Telus network and got my Galaxy S2 from expansys. I've had it for a month now (switched from Iphone 4) and so far love the phone's potential, but hate the slow GPS, horrible battery power, extremely weak wi-fi signal, etc. Now enough complaints, I'd like to root the phone to the latest firmware without screwing up my network settings and experiencing the issues that others have had in regards to poor network strength, lack of connection, etc after rooting. Can someone take me through baby steps of how to do this? If rooting the phone will indeed cause the aforementioned issues, then I'll just wait until Kies updates it in 30 years lol.

Here's what you may want to know:

Model #: GT-I9100
    Android Version: 2.3.3
    Baseband Version: I9100XXKE7
    Kernel Version: 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKF3-CL276555root@DELL101 #2
    Build #: GINGERBREAD.XWKF3

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

firstly u dont need to root to update firmware :) just flash a new firmware from here:
    [ROM + Guide]Official i9100 Firmwares KF1/2/3/4/, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 Download - xda-developers
    XXKG5 (OXA Poland) is the newest official and the one im using is the newest (leaked) one, KH3

all the info u need is in that thread. additionally, if u still want to root, this is the easiest and in my opinion, the best method
    [17.08.2011][CF-Root v4.1] KE2/7/8, KF1/2/3/4, KG1/2/3/5/6/7, KH1/3 - su+bb+CWM4 - xda-developers

if u want matching CSC to ur carrier etc, let someone with more experience guide u, my phone is not connected to any brand or network so i cant really comment on that point :D

3. skynet99

skynet99 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Thanks for the quick response, I really appreciate it. Question though and don't make fun of me for asking, but is it ok for me to use OXA Poland when I live in Canada? The other question is what's the difference (perhaps the changelog) between the official XXKG5 vs. KH3 (the one you're using). Do you find that even though it's a leaked version, that it's solid?

Also, when I flash a new firmware, do I lose all my settings on my phone?

4. skynet99

skynet99 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
  5. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

about the polish CSC, its fine for me but like i said, im not connected to any network or brand so its not a problem for me. the country ur living in really doesnt matter (im not in poland :p) i dont think that u should have any problem.. flashign this firmware would remove any carrier preinstalled apps though.. but u will still have the same languages etc. but there are carrier based CSC u can find if ur really interested in that

ur phone wont lose any settings if u follow the exact instructions :)

u need the OXA Poland one (the 260mb file), thats the firmware. the second one is just the kernel (just one part of the firmware)

6. skynet99

skynet99 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    So as long as I follow the directions, I will experience zero problems flashing the phone to the new android firmware, right? Much appreciated!

7. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

thts right. and if u follow the second set of instructions, u should be rooted too

8. skynet99

skynet99 Newbie
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    Will flashing the phone mean that it'll wipe I
    t and erase everything?

9. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert
    None

nope, flashing firmware or rooting should not erase anything