1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

rooting OTA 2.3.3 for dummies

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by motoroller, Aug 29, 2011.

1. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

So Ive been researching how to root DROID X2 OTA 2.3.3 for sometime, and most of the instructions are confusing. So im making root instructions for someone with no android experience can do themself.
    THE LINK TO THE FREE "DROID X2 RECOVERY.APK" AS WELL AS THE "GINGERBREAK.APK" IS IN MY SECOND POST ON THIS THREAD!!
    --------READ ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE STARTING--------
    So I'm going to give you a basic idea of the process first.
    1) You will use RSD Lite 5.3 program to place the .SBF file on your phone wich will downgrade your firmware to 2.2.2 making it able to be rooted.
    2) You will then root your phone.
    3) After the root, you will boot your phone into recovery mode with the program "droid x2 recovery"
    4) you will install the update.zip from SD card which will reinstall 2.3.3 rooted version.

----------IN CASE YOU FORGOT, READ ALL DIRECTIONS BEFORE STARTING---------
    1) Backup all files on you x2 with "Mybackup Pro" or "Titanium Backup" available from market. (This root method will erase EVERYTHING!)
    2) Download RSD Lite 5.3 with drivers to your PC from here:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?h3a4eyoq0wy3yn5
    A) Install RSD lite 5.3
    B) install one of the 2 driver packages, depending on your windows configuration 32 bit or 64 bit.
    3) This package is in .RAR format. To extract the files download free .RAR extract program here:
    http://download.cnet.com/Free-RAR-Extract-Frog/3000-2250_4-10804840.html?tag=mncol;4
    4) Download the .SBF file to your pc here:
    http://www.multiupload.com/I91ML31ET5
    You will need to unzip this file. It is in .GZ format.
    5) If you need a program to unzip it, download 7zip from here:
    http://download.cnet.com/7-Zip/3000-2250_4-10045185.html?tag=mncol;2
    6) Download the Update.zip file to your PC here:
    http://mydroidfiles.com/downloads/TBH/P3Droid-DX2-Patched_GB_update.zip (DO NOT UNZIP THIS)
    7) You will need to rename this file update.zip
    7) Connect your phone to your PC as "mass storage device"
    8) Copy the update.zip file to your phones EXTERNAL SD card (Do not copy it into a folder! just open up the external SD and copy!)
    9) While your x2 is still connected to your PC run RSD Lite.
    10) In the top of the program you will see "....." click that to open the .SBF file you extracted.
    11) Click "start" this process took me about 10-15 minutes.
    ONLY COMPLETE STEPS 12-17 IF YOUR PHONE BOOT LOOPS (BOOTS OVER AND OVER WITHOUT EVER STARTING UP)
    12) Your phone may boot loop after the process is complete. If this happens you will need to turn the phone off (pull out the battery if neccesary)
    13) Hold the volume down and power button. when the phone boots up you will see "fastboot" at the top left corner of the screen.
    14) Using the volume down button scroll through the options at the top of the screen untill you see "android recovery" select it by pressing volume up.
    15) Once you are in "android recovery" you will see a little android guy, and an exclamation mark. You need to press volume up and volume down at the same time. Which will bring up the menu.
    16) There will be 4 options, you are going to select "factory reset data" by pressing the power button on top of your phone.
    17) Once it is complete, it will boot up, and you will need to reactivate your phone.
    18) Download "gingerbreak.apk" located in my 2nd post on this thread. Run this app from your phone, and select "root device."
    19) Once rooted you will need to download "Droid x2 recovery" located in my 2nd post on this thread.
    20) Run "droid x2 recovery" from your phone.
    A) click install recovery
    B) click boot into recovery
    21) On reboot you will be taken to the "droid x2 recovery" screen. scroll down to "install update.zip from ext SD card" and select it. (this will reinstall your 2.3.3 rooted though =D)

PLEASE SHARE YOUR SUCESS STORIES, SO PEOPLE CAN KNOW THIS METHOD WILL WORK FOR THEM, AND ALSO ANY PROBLEMS SO I CAN TRY TO TROUBLE-SHOOT THEM. THANKS!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

Nice work, however you can save $2.99 by downloading the free "Droid X2 Recovery" APK from this thread on XDA. It requires you to be plugged into a wall outlet when booting into recovery, but other than that, it works just as well for almost $3 less. ;)

motoroller likes this.
  3. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

Thank you! I've edited the post accordingly.
    BOTH OF THESE NEED TO BE DOWNLOADED TO YOUR PHONE ACCORDING TO STEPS 18-19.
    Here is the Gingerbreak.apk file to root your phone after installing the .SBF file:
    Gingerbreak.apk
    Here is the Droid x2 FREE recovery:
    http://www.mediafire.com/?y19y123n6tauq7s
    SO NOW THIS METHOD IS 100% FREE!!!

4. cookie_monster

cookie_monster Android Enthusiast

so this going to take me back to froyo or what??? kinda lost where its taking me so i know i am in the right place

5. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

Installing the. SBF file will take you back to froyo temporarily. Which will allow you to root your phone. Then after rooting, you will be able to use the update.zip file to re-upgrade your firmware to the 2.3.3 you had, but rooted though.

cookie_monster likes this.
  6. cookie_monster

tried this 4 different times and a no go i mean yes it rooted and all but the TBH after it flashed and went to adroid guy to tap i lost all touch screen tapping my screen became unreponsive and i tried everything gave up went back to stock GB

7. onmylevel

onmylevel Newbie

awesome post. loving gingerbread right now! i never took the OTA so i was on froyo since i got the phone

8. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

Thanks for the input!
    Your "listed devices" say Droid x, and EVO. This root method as well as the files listed are tailored to the Droid x2. If you're using a Droid x. I can make modifications to the post, so you can obtain a working root. I will post in the Droid x section, if you are indeed using an OG. Let me know :)

Edit: If you are using a Droid x2 and you have this problem, after installing the update.zip, try booting the phone back into recovery, and doing another factory reset while 2.3.3 is installed. I don't know if this will solve your problem, as I've never heard of this before. But give it a try

9. cookie_monster

Sorry I do have a DROID x2 lol I tried a factory reset and wiped everything after the install still nothing I have my x and DROID 3 and inc2 all rooted along with my old evolution

10. CDubX2

CDubX2 Lurker

To: Motoroller

In step two You said to install all three files.

What three files? I only can install two which are "motorola driver 32bit" (because i have a 32bit windows not 64bit) and "RSTLite." Is this what you meant?

11. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

There's only a couple other things I can think of though.
    1)never download firmware or anything like that over wifi, or 3g, small pieces of the whole package can be lost. Which may contribute to your screen problem. Always try to use a wired internet connection.
    2) try copying the update.zip to your phones internal memory and installing from there. Could be an external SD problem. Especially if your using a 32gb card.
    3) if these fail. I can send you the exact same update.zip file I used to root my phone. If all this fails, Pray that God will root your phone for you.

12. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

*2 files* Sorry, it was a typo :) depending on your windows configuration install 64 or 32

13. CDubX2

CDubX2 Lurker

No problem just wanted to make sure. Thanks

14. cookie_monster

Ok i will try again. I am not trying to down this thread cause it is very helpful and i want to root lol. I downloaded all via my computer the files that i used. would you like to know what spec are of everything b4 i go again?

15. Mikhial

Mikhial Newbie

In the recovery app, it says the device must be rooted. Is it safe to use anyway, even though I haven't rooted my phone yet?

16. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

I didn't think you were downing the thread, I want to hear about problems so I can fix my directions as needed, have troubleshooting options, and help people in the future. I also thought of one other option. There is another recovery.apk it cost 2.99 callled "Droid 2 recovery bootstrap" which is the one I originally used. Lol, you might be able to use it once within 15 mins and get a refund. Or find it somewhere else

cookie_monster likes this.
  17. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

Rooting your device with "gingerbreak.apk" is step 18, downloading and running "droid x2 recovery" doesnt happen until step 19.

18. Mikhial

Mikhial Newbie

I thought it was a backup app. My apologies.

I'm in the middle of doing this. My phone went into a bootloop, and now I can't boot into fastboot. It sat at the Moto Logo with fastboot in the corner for several minutes before displaying 'Starting Fastboot protocol support.' Now it's stuck at the point

Edit: I'm an idiot.

19. cookie_monster

yeah i loved the guide straight forward and to the point only thing i ran into was like i said when i or after i installed the update.zip and wiped and factory reset my hard buttons worked and what not but the screen for touch was unresponsive

20. Mikhial

Mikhial Newbie

Well it took a while, but I finally got it rooted. Thank you!

21. NightAngel79

NightAngel79 Bounty Hunter
    Administrator

Great guide it seems! Also glad to see someone taking the time to help users get through the instructions:)

22. d38237

d38237 Lurker

sorry if this is a duplicate post trying to figure out why rsd lite doesnt recognize my .sbf file on my desktop

23. motoroller

motoroller Newbie

1) make sure it is unzipped, its in .GZ format
    2) when you click "..." to open the file, there will be a drop box for "files of type"
    Select "super files" then see if it recognizes.

24. jrock204657

jrock204657 Well-Known Member

Thanks for making this guide! I'm trying it right now and have extracted the .sbf file. When I open RSDLite and open the file, I hit start yet nothing happens...Any ideas?

25. d38237

d38237 Lurker

How do I unzip it? Also i clicked on the "..." and selected super user and it still wont recognize the file.

Motorola Droid X2 Forum

The Motorola Droid X2 release date was May 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, GB RAM, Nvidia Tegra 2 AP20H processor, and 1540mAh battery.

May 2011
Release Date
Reviews