1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting phone questions I never see discussed

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jrife, May 23, 2011.

1. Jrife

None

Mar 19, 2011
    Hey Look Man I'm Just A Regular Guy! LOL
    Another diminshion and in this dimension
    Ok I have Thunderbolt. Lets say I root my phone all goes well. When phone in rooted state what happens if I master reset phone like new out of box state? It surely doesn't unroot the phone or people wouldn't ask how to unroot. Does it master reset phone In it's current rooted state?

Advertisement

2. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert
    None

Aug 8, 2010
    Sales
    Massachusetts
    No, you won't lose root every time you factory reset

3. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    to expand on that a little,the files that give root access are permanently part of the rom,unless those files are intentionally removed,or the rom itself is replaced with a rom that does not have root access files built in.

factory data reset only elimiates personal data and user installed apps,it does not change any system files.

the custom recovery and S-OFF "engineering bootloader" are also parts of the operating system that are not disturbed by the factory data reset,or by flashing custom roms in recovery.

its actually fairly easy to add the root files to an RUU(as we saw when the OTA was leaked and jcase had us a rooted version to flash before the end of the day),the prollem is getting the rom/ruu onto the phone. to do that, you need to flash it via the s-off eng bootloader,or via a custom recovery.

so it deosnt really matter what software(rooted or unrooted) you run on the phone,as long as you have either a custom recovery,or an s-off bootloader,youll still be able to change software remain rooted.

for example,you flash an "unrooted stock" rom in recovery. you reboot the phone,and you have no SU app,so superuser access. you cant use titanium backup or any other root only app. are you unrooted? sort of... you have no access in this rom,but all you have to do is go back to recovery,and flash a different rom. as long as the new rom is rooted,your back in business.

hope that made sense... and maybe cleared it up a little. :)

Scrillex likes this.