• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting program

neo1973

Dec 7, 2010
PDX
So all I have seen are 2 and 3 year old posts about which program to use to root. There have been some recent ones that have a root and kernel replace, but I just want to get my feet wet with the root first. The problem is, I've seen that a lot of the older root programs do not work with 2.3.5, which is what I'm running.

Soooooooooo, can anyone definitively direct me to a 2.3.5 compatible root program, or do I have to revert back?

I would like to put CM9 (or maybe CM10 after I get confident) on my phone, but not sure which kernel to use. I've seen enough issues reported with the Corn Kernel that it makes me apprehensive.

TIA

If you've got stock 2.3.5 then the corn kernel should be fine. That's the one I used and had no issues. That said, I did immediately flash ICS using Doc's Master ICS Rom (download link 130MB). That's a good one to get your feet wet with because it replaces the Corn kernel with the Glitch kernel and includes all the gapps. Or you can go to CM9 which is now in final release, but you'll need to get the gapps separately. If you are apprehensive, let me know and I can walk you through it. Piece of cake, really.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones