1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Rooting: Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by phnord, Jun 2, 2011.

1. phnord

phnord Lurker
    None

Jun 2, 2011
    I'm brand new to Android, and I'm thinking of rooting my device. I want to do so in order to sideload, in order to explore custom ROMs and such.

However, I have been looking into it and I have seen hints that once I root, I may not be able to receive official updates anymore. This worries me.

So I was wondering - what are the pros and cons of rooting? Most of the posts here focus on the former without really mentioning the latter at all.

- Andy

Advertisement

2. ultradroid

ultradroid So many android phones...
    None

Apr 24, 2010
    Title Insurance Underwriter
    Cleveland, Ohio - the North Coast!
    The pros and cons of rooting can best be understood if you go here - Fundamentals of Rooting and Terms Explained - and read the various sub threads. To answer one of the later points you raise, yes rooting and installing a custom rom or removing some of the bloatware WILL prevent a future Over The Air (OTA) update from installing. That's not necessarily a bad thing though - I have four android phones, and three of them have had Gingerbread for months, because I have custom roms installed. One of the benefits of custom roms (which you have to be rooted to install) is that you get all of the cool features of the upcoming OTA updates *months* in advance of the other people.

-Mike

3. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    you can still get updates if you root your phone. The only thing I find as a con is if you absolutely do something completely wrong in sideloading in which causes your phone to brick entirely, which isn't likely in most cases, but the main con I guess is that it may void the warranty on the phone.