• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Rooting question Newbie here

braydonzdaddy

Jun 18, 2011
ok, i've read all these posts and i'm still not understanding entirely... I have a mytouch 3g that has a 3.5mm headphone jack on the top.... I want to root the phone and put a custom ROM on it. I watched a friend of mine do this on his lg ally, and it was SUPER EASY.... I on the other hand am having issues... it has 2.2.1. can anyone point me in the direction of a step by step, noob friendly, guide on what i need to do? can i root with 2.2.1? do i need to downgrade?

note: i do not have a way to hook my phone to the computer at this time, so a way to do it all over the phone like my friend did with his ally would be AWESOME.

I am going to try to help you out, though I am no expert.

After lots of frustration, I found a post that said that there is a glitch in the 2.2.1 software from T-Mobil that the USB doesn't work right. To get the phone to recognize the USB, turn off the phone, plug in the USB, and then turn on the phone. It will now see the USB.

If you follow this link, Root HTC Magic/Sapphire Android Phone In One-Click

on the bottom of the page is a link to this file:
SuperOneClickv1.6.5 ShortFuse.zip

SuperOneClickv1.6.5-ShortFuse.zip

This was awsome because it rooted my phone for me. I had to run it twice to complete, but then it was rooted.

Then download Rom Manager. When done, install clockwork recovery.

I never could get it to boot into recovery mode, but fooling around, I told it to fix the SD card file permissions. This didn't seem to fix the ROM problem, but now the USB works like it supposed to.

I also recomend you download adb wireless. and the whole adb program thingy to your computer.

I hope this helps. I still can't load CM 6.1, but my phone is much faster.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones