1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Rooting Question

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cvlngineer, Sep 7, 2011.

1. cvlngineer

cvlngineer Lurker

I switched to the HTC Inspire 4G from an iPhone 3GS that I had jailbroken. It appears that rooting an Android device is a bit more involved.

What I would like to do is root the phone so that I can use WiFi tethering, like you can do with MiFi on the iPhone. I don't want to use a custom ROM or anything, just the stock Android 2.3.3. Is this possible? If so, how do I do it? I have read the updated instructions on rooting the phone, but if I'm not flashing a custom ROM, do I need to leave out some of the steps?

Thanks

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

I rooted myself recently and the Ace Hack kit actually downgrades and flashes a simple no-frills rom anyways. So, you are kind of forced to install a new Rom afterwards if you want to get back up to date. ClearDroid is supposedly a pretty good stock rom with all the bloat taken out.

3. cvlngineer

cvlngineer Lurker

OK, thanks. I'm not sure that I completely understand all of the steps for the process, but I'll keep reading. As far as ROM's go, I would like something as close to stock as possible, but maybe a bit more stable. The new stock update (2.3.3) has been VERY unstable for me and its kinda pi**ed me off. Is Cleardroid pretty stable? Also, what do I need to install to enable WiFi tethering?

4. KenG10

KenG10 Well-Known Member

It's pretty much stock from what what I read on XDA Developers site. I'm sure you are already on there, but you should check out xda developers forums for Inspire 4G.

HTC Inspire 4G - xda-developers

You can search those forums for pretty much all your answers. (I'm not sure on the answer for tethering, I'm sure you can find it there.)